MINUTES OF THE WATER COMMISSIONERS

Monday December 10, 2018 @ 6:00 P.M.

Town Clerk’s Office

 

Members Present: Brooks Sturtevant, Mike Lawyer, Marshall Ploof and Sara Rainville, secretary.

 

Guests: Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand & Peter Magnant, Selectboard members, Jes Alexant.

 

Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Marshall Ploof. Pledge of allegiance was recited.

 

Agenda Amendments:

None.

 

Public Comments:

Jes Alexant stated that he is returning water documents that he borrowed.

 

Peter Magnant questioned current water leaks in the system.  Marshall stated that he was notified Saturday of a leak at the Dick Wright Body Shop building. He inspected it then and again Monday morning with Jeremy Barnum. After further inspection it was determined that a Sharkbite fitting had pushed off of a pipe when it froze and they were able to easily push it back on resolving the leak.

 

The two vacant homes in Town were discussed and that the water is shut off at the curb on both properties.  Installing curb stops at homes that don’t have them was discussed; as repairs arise on the system, curb stops have been installed on properties that don’t have them.

 

Board Member Replacement & Assignments:

Brooks/Marshall made the motion to nominate Mike Lawyer for chair of the Water Commissioners, vote taken, 2 in favor, Mike abstained, motion passed.

 

Approve Minutes:

Brooks/Mike made the motion to approve the November 12, 2018 minutes; vote taken, all in favor, motion passed.

 

Treasurer’s Report:

Sara presented the water commissioners with a trial balance report for FY19; checking account balance $47,551.28.

 

A warrant with supporting invoices totaling $3,692.92 was submitted for review and signatures by the members. Discussion was had on the Otter Creek Engineering bills. The members would like to review the contract that was signed with Otter Creek before paying the invoices. Sara will send a copy of the contract to Mike.

 

Brooks/Mike made the motion to approve the treasurer’s report & warrant less the two Otter Creek Engineering invoices, vote taken, all in favor, motion passed.

 

A bill was sent to Larry & Kari Tatro for water line work repairs done at their home in October 2018. Members would like Sara to add to their January 1, 2019 billing if no payment has been received yet.

 

Sara stated that there are still 3 outstanding accounts from the July 1, 2018 billing to users. One account is sending payment, one account has set up a payment plan and one account is already shut off and has made payment arrangements. Board was in favor of placing liens on the property’s if the balances are not cleared up soon.

 

An “inactive user” fee was discussed for homes on the system that are vacant and have the water turned off. Brooks will check into this and report back at the next water meeting.

 

Sara has been working on FY20 budget prep. Needs input from the board on her salary, the water operator salary and system upgrade debt loan.

 

Water Sampling & Repairs:

Brooks submitted the Lead and Copper Plan to the State of Vermont last week with assistance from Marshall.

 

The 2019 Monitoring Schedule is available; Sara will get a copy to Jeremy. Marshall stated that all the December samples have been collected and the result are all negative.

 

Source Protection Plan:

Jes is will working on a more thorough draft. An emergency water source was discussed.  Sara will send Jes the last Source Protection Plan to use as a guide.

 

O & M Manual:

Jes and Sara have been working on a draft; Sara will finish it up and add the needed attachments, she will contact Dave Love on where it needs to be sent.

 

Water System Project Update:

Board tabled. Mike will contact John Kiernan at Otter Creek for an update.

 

Water Operator:

Jeremy Barnum passed the operator test, Andy Godin passed as well. 

 

Brooks/Mike made the motion to hire Jeremy Barnum as a part-time operator for the Franklin Water System and Andy Godin as his back-up operator, all in favor, motion passed.  Contract terms and pay were discussed with the selectboard; the water commissioners will discuss more at the next selectboard meeting. Sara will send a copy of the last operator contract to the board for review.

 

Marshall needs to do a letter to Dave Love about Jeremy’s operator experience/ training with the Water District.

 

LCCA Water Spigot:

Jes informed the members on a call that he had received from a camper about the water spigot; the caller wanted him and the board to know that the letters that had been publicized by the LCCA were not the views of all the LCCA members/campers.  The caller also suggested that if the water was to be continued to be used, that clear agreement be made in writing.

Possible ways to monitor and meter the water spigot were discussed as well as having set dates, weather permitting, for the water to be turned on such as May 1-October 1. 


Item was tabled by members.

 

Other Business & Mail:

            -Letter to board chair from the auditors re: Town Report deadlines for the chair report and water budget

            -All members thanked Jes and Sara for all their extra work for the Water District.

 

Next month’s meeting will be on Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.

 

Motion made by Brooks/Mike to adjourn the meeting, all in favor, motion passed.

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

 

Respectfully,

Sara Rainville

December 12, 2018

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the Water Commissions next regular meeting.

These minutes were approved January 18, 2019.