Franklin Selectboard Meeting

October 21, 2020 @ 7:00 p.m.
Zoom virtual meeting

 

 

 

Call to order

At 7:00 p.m. Peter Magnant called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was said. 

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Brooks Sturtevant, Andy Godin, Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk.

 

Guests: Jeremy Barnum, Highway foreman; Kim Gates Maynard; Linda Blash, NRPC; Tyler Mumley, Ruggiano Engineering; Oliver Pierson, DEC; John Tucci, EverBlue Lakes

 

Agenda amendments:  Add to New Business-Enosburgh Ambulance; Add to Town Clerk concerns-with truck loan docs, new truck invoice and LCCA Army Band.  All members in favor of amendments as read and agenda set.

 

Public comment period: None

 

Approval of minutes: Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the minutes of October 7th regular meeting as written.  All members voted in favor 5-0; motion passed.

 

Highway Dept: 

·                   Linda Blash-Pidgeon Hill local concerns: Linda did a broad overview of the project with a power point presentation.  Tyler-recommends a concrete box culvert, understands cost is a factor, working on a comparison of cost with the previous culvert done.  Construction time line with a box vs. metal arch is less.  Yvon-alignment needs to be addressed.  Linda advised with the long term schedule of work for completion out to 2023; cost may become much more.  Tyler states he recently did two culvert projects of 12’x9’ by 30’ long and cost approx. $150K; a 12’x9’ by 90’ long was approx. $260K.  Concern of price is understood and will move it along as quickly as possible.  Tyler working on survey now and will have more idea on design and cost soon.  Amy Gilman, resident at end of Pidgeon Hill Rd questions access if culvert fails before it’s completed?  Jeremy advised should not fail, it is not that bad yet; would have to do a temporary bridge is so.  Linda thanked and exited the meeting.

·                   School snow plowing:  Peter advised the school board went out to bid for the plowing for the upcoming winter.  Got four bids; was awarded to R&M lawn care for $10,200 plus $140 for salt.  Peter offered that the town was still available to do the work, last year cost the school $4800; SU needed to bid publically so the town was not able to bid against public entities.  Yvon-another example of consolidation not saving money.  Also plan to buy a new tractor, mower and blower this fall and will sell current to the town for $1.00.

·                   Salt contract: reviewed the contract with Cargill for $75/ton for FY21 season.  Last year paid $86.51/ton; reflection of the lower fuel prices.  Andy G/Brooks S made a motion to accept the Cargill contract for FY21 for $75/ton.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.  

·                   Rte 236 project engineer selection:  Discussion of committee interviews and rankings done on three firms: Ruggiano 142 pts; KAS 131 pts; Dubois & King 125 pts.  Choose Ruggiano-local firm already doing a project with town; satisfied with previous work done; lowest cost is acceptable with the town; positive with scope and performance.  Tyler spoke about ability to do the project with a good simple plan and design to achieve a good product with the contractor during construction and supervise to the end.   

 

New Business: 

·       Wendy-ZA report:  reviewed the activity of the zoning office.

·       Sheriff report:  reviewed September activity

·       Enosburgh Ambulance:  The Enosburgh Selectboard has invited area communities that are contracted with them to an informational discussion regarding a regional service.  Need to start the conversation on possibilities for moving forward to continue service coverage.

 

Review warrants for approval of bills: three members will come into the office to review and sign warrants.

 

Town Clerk Concerns:

·                   Town Hall grant:  notice has been received that we were not awarded the grant for the sound system and curtains.  Discussed the handicap ramp needing upgrades to meet ADA standards.  Kim mentioned that the inside of the town hall needs to be repainted; Yvon will get price quotes for next year’s budget.  Cemetery policy and procedures:  Board agrees to warn for next meeting for further review of the entire policy with the Franklin Cemetery Commisioners.

·                   Truck loan documents: The board reviewed the loan documents for signature.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to accept and sign the loan documents with Community National Bank for $145,000 at 1.7% for five years.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.  Yvon advised the truck is expected to be here the second week of November.   Yvon advised the invoice for the chassis to Clark’s of $116,000 needs to be paid now per the contract; the balance for the dump body and accessories due on delivery.

·                   Elections COVID grant award:  Lisa advised she has gotten a Tech & Civic Life grant due to COVID of $5,000 for support of anything related to elections and their carry out.  The ramp may be eligible under these funds to get done before year end.  Intend to purchase a new laptop for elections, storage totes, and dolly.  Will also plan to use funds for town meeting changes for 2021.

·                   LCCA-Army Band:  Pete Benevento has inquired about using the town green to hold a concert with the Army Band on July 10, 2021.  Brooks S/Andy G made a motion to allow LCCA to sue the town green on July 10 for the Army Band.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.

 

New Business: 

·                   Aeration system update: John Tucci and Oliver Pierson were welcomed to the meeting.  John advised he needs to get all the data on performance of the system to analyze the season-there was a negative effect on water quality early on due to the system being done due to electrical issues.  Replace the drive controls.  John wants to do another informational call in early spring to share data of the season.  Once drives were replaced the systems operated flawlessly.  Oliver discussed the system data of the lake flow into and out of the lake; warmer water temperatures with low rains.  Peter had not seen a lot of issues this summer.  There is funding of a $10K grant for utilities at a 50% share for three years.  Also $1,000 for legal fees/administration to submit to Oliver for reimbursement.  Working on $36K for a two year contract with EverBlue for 2021 and 2022 to maintain the system. After two years town can take over and be trained to operate in this time frame.   John-plan to stock a new compressor and control drives in case an issue comes up next year, though it’s not expected.  Brooks-could we use solar to operate the system?  John-would need batteries and back-ups to assist with usage; would need a large size location to supplement.  Oliver-are looking for funds to continue use of the buoy monitor for one more summer. 

 

Old Business: 

·                   ZBA review/hearing discussion:  Lisa has sent info to Joe McLean, town attorney, on the affidavit from the Hutchins regarding year round conversion.  Awaiting opinion for legal council.

·                   Town meeting:  discussed the notice to residents of recommendations of the board to hold town meeting by Australian ballot for one year change due to pandemic safety. Lisa will speak with VLCT on rules for public informational meetings and petition of elected officers. 

·                   Virtual meeting equipment:  need for equipment to continue to hold board meetings and town meeting for large gatherings.  Purchase a web-cam, desktop microphones, headsets/mics for board members.  Have grant funding to purchase.  Jeremy needs a new printer/copier/fax machine for the garage.

·                   Weed harvester update:  Jeremy advised it is out of the water; nothing done yet, needs to be cleaned and stored.  Need to do hydraulic system tests before putting back in the water in spring.  LCCA has gotten the invoice for the new motor; awaiting price for the hydraulic conversion kit, to reimburse the town.  The town will expend $1,000 toward the cost of the engine installation.

 

Member Concerns:  

Lisa- November 3rd election counters-most members available. 

Yvon-dehumidifier has been installed and is running in the garage; Jeremy stated the humidity dropped from 80% to 60% in 24 hours.

Peter-the next meeting will be in the church basement; need to bring supplies to clean after use.  Will start working on budgets and articles.

 

Adjournment

Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  All members voted in favor; motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be November 18th at 6:00 pm in the church basement.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

October 26, 2020

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular Selectboard meeting.