Franklin Selectboard Meeting

October 17, 2018 @ 7:00 pm
Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 7:00 p.m. Peter M called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Yvon Dandurand, Andy Godin, Dave Bennion, Brooks Sturtevant, Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

 

Guests: Jordy Fraties

 

Agenda amendments:  None

 

Public comment period:  None

 

Highway Department:  Better Roads Grant-spoke with Jeremy on the work needed on Colton Road for culverts identified in the stormwater/erosion inventory done by Stone Environmental several years ago.  Board agreed with this project and Lisa will work with Jeremy to complete the grant application. 

 

ATV Ordinance review:  A notice for community and public input was posted on the website and Facebook.  The board would like comments before a final approval is made; review will be done at the November 21st meeting.  The main concern of the board is the liability to the town with ATV use on town roads.   

 

Approval of Minutes:  October 3rd minutes-Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to approve the minutes as written.  Peter asked about clarification of the salt contract; submission of the TAP grant.  All members voted in favor, Andy abstained. 

 

Town Clerk concern: 

·                       M. Silva estate-an estate petition was drawn up by the town attorney for the court, asking for the funds to be turned over to the town of a resident who passed with no heirs.  By statute the town is the recipient of the estate.  Brooks S/Dave B made the motion for the Town of Franklin to petition for the estate of M. Silva and for Peter to sign the necessary paperwork.  Appoint Yvon as the representative to attend a hearing if necessary.  All members voted in favor.

·                       Highway garage fire-2006 – Lisa has been contacted by John O’Brien of NH Primex which insures the Town of Wolfeboro, NH who sustained a garage/truck fire and is looking for the authorization to obtain our complete fire investigators report from our fire in 2006.  There are similar issues of concern with vendors of the truck’s plow equipment.  Dave will review the complete fire investigators report before giving authorization to send to Mr O’Brien.

·                       Dog complaint: Lisa advised she has received several verbal complaints from a resident of Hill Rd regarding the dog of Vaillancourt’s being on their property constantly.  Dennis has also been contacted by the property owner and spoken with the Vaillancourts. 

 

Old Business:  Electric vehicle charging station grant – discussed the location of such a system.  The school parking lot, behind the fire station, ect.  Will need to discuss further at the next meeting; Lisa will review the details of necessary available utilities for the operation of the stations.

 

New Business: 

·                       FY20 highway budget review- discussed needs of the highway for next year; employee reviews will be discussed at the November meeting.  The fire truck and plow truck payments will be done in FY20.  

·                       State Water system contact form- changes for the contacts of the water system are needed.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to change contacts to Town of Franklin office/Sara Rainville and Marshall Ploof as operator; remove Jes Alexant and Mark Brouillette.  All members in favor, Peter signed the change form.

·                       Franklin Homestead and Carriage House – emergency evacuation plan submitted to the board and Mark Toof-Emergency Management Coordinator, for review and notice.

·                       Dick Wright Ford building – Lisa contact the owner of the building to inquire about the sale price.  Mark is asking the assessed value of $326,300 for the property.  Dave spoke of the CDBG-Community Development Block Grant, if there were options on purchasing and converting it into useful property for the community.  The board does not feel they are in a position for such a purchase at this time.

 

Review and sign bills:  Members reviewed and signed bills.

 

Member concerns/other business

·        Brooks has had a resident voice concern over living in Franklin but having an 911 address of Enosburg; Lisa responded that is part of the State 911 system set up and there is nothing that can be done.

·        Andy-will check on salt price comparisons with Apalachee LLC vs. Cargill.

·        Dave – the town hall gutter is clogged and causing the water to drip onto the sidewalk; he will look to use Curtis or Burt’s lift truck to clean them out.  We should look to replace the town hall chair protector feet so the floor does not get scratched; cost to replace all is about $145.  Lisa will look to order with Dave.  Furnace room work has been completed.  Dave suggests looking into a sound system for the town hall and drapes for the windows so the echo is less.  Franklin Telephone is willing to contribute to the cost of the sound system.  Dave will get quotes for next year’s budget. 

·        Yvon wants to be sure the highway crew is wearing proper safety gear at all times to meet OSHA standards.  Andy will remind them of this policy.

·        Peter – inquired about the Christmas tree pad/stand.  Yvon has built the stand for the temporary tree and for use for a sign post as well for the town office.  Dave spoke with the Rec group and they were happy with the decision made.  It will be installed at the corner of the office by Main St.  Lisa will check with the State on the ROW width of Rte 120 to be sure we are not within it.  Yvon will get the cement for the pad.  Highway crew will be asked to seed the spot of the old tree.

                        The Franklin Watershed team meeting is Thursday at 4:45 if members            want to attend.

                        The school purchase and sale agreement was signed with the School             board at Oct 16th meeting.  A decision was made by the State on the 17th to         merger MVU, Swanton, Highgate and Franklin.

 

Next meeting date is November 21st @ 6:00 pm at the Town clerk’s office.

 

Adjournment

At 8:40 pm Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion carried.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

October 18, 2018

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting. 

These minutes were approved at the November 14, 2018 selectboard meeting.