Franklin Selectboard Meeting

June 19, 2019 @ 7:00 p.m.
Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 7:00 p.m. Yvon Dandurand called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. 

 

Present: Andy Godin, Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Brooks Sturtevant and Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

 

Guests: none

 

Agenda amendments:  add to town clerk concerns – Bike/Ped grant for radar speed signs on Lake Rd/Rte 120.  All members in favor.

 

Public comment period:  None

 

Lake Carmi Aeration project: 

·                       Yvon reviewed the update received this week from Everblue and the status of the project.  The generators and manifolds are installed, the lines into the lake were being buried and the water lines and diffusers were ready to go into the lake this week. 

·                       Discussed the insurance coverage of the equipment being installed.  Pete had advised upon speaking with the State that it was covered for two years while Everblue manages the project.  The town policy covers the liability of the equipment on the Evans property through the lease agreement.  The concern is of vandalism of the equipment; Lisa with check into this further.

 

Highway Department:

·                       Sidewalk approval/walk through:  Lisa advised the sidewalk is complete; she will speak with Dan Rexford for confirmation and contact Michael Chrastina from VTrans Dist 8 and Peter Pochop with the State for a final inspection and review.  Need to complete the grant reimbursement paperwork for payment.

·                       Highgate meeting regarding Hanna Rd:  July 18th at 7:00 in Highgate there will be a public hearing regarding the reclassification of Hanna Rd from class III to class II.  The boards will need to do a site visit also after this hearing.  Reclassification will allow for greater aid to highway funding and other grant funding available from the State.

·                       Grader training: Jeremy has confirmed with Stu from VT Local Roads for June 27th weather permitting.  He will come on site and review methods and tips of proper grading.

·                       Andy advised the road side mowing will be done this week.  The weed harvester has been put into the lake this week as well. 

 

Town Clerk Concerns:    

·                       Franklin Center Cemetery:  The board has reviewed the deed and is fine with it.  John Hubbard and Dwight Tatro were reviewing it as well and will have an association meeting soon to sign off on the transfer to the town.  Mr. Tatro was going to check on the mowing at this time, as Paul Greenwood, who had been mowing has passed away.

·                       Maplegrove Cemetery easement: this has been approved by the town; the Maplegrove Cemetery Association was meeting to sign off on the easement for the town to access the school land being transferred to us.  Hugh Gates is looking into the layout of School St as there seems to be some concern over the accuracy on a survey. 

·                       Financial Management Questionaire:  Lisa advised this is requested of the State Treasurer annually to be completed by the Treasurer and signed off by the Selectboard.  It is to cover transparency and best practices of the town treasurer.  The board reviewed and Yvon signed off.

·                       Fingerprint checks: The library trustees are looking for a method to request federal fingerprint checks on the librarians as they deal with vulnerable individuals.  Lisa spoke with VLCT and was advised there is not a simple method other than the individual requesting for themselves on behalf of the library trustees.  The library should reimburse for the cost if it is required as part of the hiring process.  Yvon states these are a pass or fail notice that is on special paper and has a federal seal so it cannot be tampered with. 

·                       Radar speed signs: Lisa is working on a grant through the VTrans Bike/Pedestrian program for funding of two signs on Lake Rd/Rte 120 near the beach area.  These signs are a digit flashing notice of your speed as you approach them, as this is a reduced speed area it will make the driver more aware of their speed. The quote is for two signs and special posts for $8580; grant match is 50%.  Suggested that they be installed in May and removed in October of each summer rather than leave for the entire winter. 

 

Approval of minutes: Brooks S/Dave B made the motion to approve the June 5 and 12, 2019 minutes as written.  All members voted in favor of the June 5th; Andy abstained from the June 12th, motion passed.  

 

Review and sign bills:  Members reviewed and signed bills.  Motion made by Brooks S/Dave B to pay the invoice to Meehan Tree Service in the amount of $825 for the sidewalk project arborist work.  All members voted in favor, motion passed.

 

Old Business:

·        Town hall roof leak: Dave spoke with Billado Roofing about the repair and was given a quote; to repair the south side that is leaking and coat the entire roof it would cost $13,100.  They suggested to submit an insurance claim as it appears to be wind damage that has lifted the tin. To replace the south side of the roof with standing seam it would be $16,950; strip, plywood and standing seam tin; $33,900 to replace the entire roof.  It is starting to come apart at the seams near the bottom and will need to be replaced in the near future.  Dave has researched and found that the roof was put on in 1929.  The board approved of the town clerk to inquire about an insurance claim for the wind damage.                                                                                                                                     

New Business: 

·        Dumpster:  Lisa had pricing from Wetherby ($60 month), Sylvester ($90) and Soule ($85) on a two yard dumpster for the town to be located at the town garage.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to enter into an agreement with Wetherby’s for a two yard dumpster at $60 month with every other week pickup; one time in the winter months at a lower price.  All members voted in favor, motion passed. 

 

Selectboard Folder: none

 

Member Concerns:

·                       Andy discussed the fence being erected on Middle Rd at the Studabaker property (formerly Martha Jane Olmstead); he has spoken with them about moving the fence back away from the road as there is concern with the snow plow damaging it in the winter.  They advised they would move it back.

·                       Yvon would like to send out a “thank you” to all the donors and those involved in the efforts of the new school playground.  There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony and cake & ice cream on June 28th at 6:00 pm to present the “new” playground. 

 

Adjournment

Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:28 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be July 17th at 6 pm

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

June 20, 2019

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting.

These minutes were approved at the July 17, 2019 Selectboard meeting.