Franklin Selectboard Meeting

July 17, 2019 @ 6:00 p.m.
Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 6:03 p.m. Peter Magnant called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. 

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Brooks Sturtevant and Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk, Andy Godin by phone at 7:55 pm

 

Guests: Maurice Lamothe, VSP; Jeremy Barnum, Highway Foremen

 

Agenda amendments:  Add to minutes-June 17th school meeting.  Add to old business-electrical work update at town hall & office.  All members in favor.

 

Public comment period:  Mr. Lamothe, VSP was here to touch base with the board on any concerns they may have.  He advised Franklin and Grand Isle Counties have been uneventful so far this year, which is good.  Triathlon went well with no incidents.  There is a group proposing to get all towns to accept ATV/UTV use on all town roads.  The mutual aid with FCS is that VSP covers when FCS is not covering per their contracts, just on an as needed on call/back up basis.  Discussion of the drug use and concerns in the communities.

 

Approval of minutes: Brooks S/Yvon D made the motion to approve the June 19 minutes as written.   All members voted in favor; Peter abstained, motion passed.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to approve the June 17 joint school meeting minutes as written.  All members voted in favor, motion passed.

 

Highway Department:

·                       Highway lot storm water project: Jeremy has requested bids for the regrading and swale work.  They have done some regrading of the back of the building.  Amanda @ NRPC has advised that Bronson Johnson has been approved for the gutter installation; Jeremy has been in contact for the work to be done. 

·                       Weed harvester:  Jeremy advised Joe Craig has been operating; it is going ok as it did last year.  Yvon speaks of the hydraulics on the old machine vs hydraulic over electric controls on the new machine, run very differently. 

·                       New Road and Bridge standards:  Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adopt all sections of the new State Road and Bridge standards required of towns effective August 1.  Discussed the minor changes, combines the old road and bridge standards with the municipal general roads permit requirements into one standard.  All members voted in favor, motion passed.  All members signed the new standards.

·                       Chloride-Hammond Shore Rd:  Polly Gadbois would like to purchase chloride from the town as they did last year.  Board agreed that they could purchase chloride and use the trailer to spread it.

·                       Stone-Patton Shore Rd: Pete Benevento would like to purchase stone from Shelburne Lime through the town account for Patton Shore Rd.  They would pay for the stone used.  Board approved.

·                       Driveway permit:  Mark St. Pierre for Colton Rd project has submitted a permit for three driveways for new homes.  Jeremy has inspected and approved the driveways; Andy will sign off on the permit.

·                       Yvon would like to compliment the highway crew on the grader training/review that was done by Local Roads recently, our roads looked in good shape.  Jeremy discussed the comments of the trainer as to the age and ability of our grader; however Jeremy states a new truck is needed before a grader.  Discussed the road maintenance sheets being up to date; Jeremy asked about the highway department getting a computer for their work.  Brooks will work with them to purchase what is needed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Business:  Town hall roof insurance claim and quotes discussed.  VLCT has been in contact and will send their adjuster/engineer to view the damaged roof.  Insurance may not cover the wind damage due to the age of the roof.  Dave has a quote from R&A Enterprises for repair $15,000 and a complete replacement with standing seam $33,000.  Need to send the quote to VLCT.  Lisa will look into a Historic Preservation grant for replacement of the roof for FY21.

 

Town Clerk Concerns:

·                       Aeration Project insurance:  Lisa checked with the State regarding coverage for vandalism on the systems.  Perry Thomas advised they are covered for two years while in the control of Everblue.

·                       Letter of resignation:  Sandi Murphy, board clerk, has resigned from serving the board.  Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to accept the resignation.  All members in favor, motion passed.  Brooks will do a “Thank you” note for the board.

·                       New recording fees:  The state legislature has issued new recording fees as of July 1.  Fees went from $10 per page for recording land records to $15 per page.  There is a mandate to reserve $4 per page for computerization and restoration.  We currently do this already.  The push is to get all town offices digitized for land records.  We need to look into this change and update computers and equipment to digitize our records.  The new fees will increase revenue to the office.  We are also being asked more frequently if we accept credit card payments, another change that should be made.  Brooks brought up cyber security and ransom ware precautions with the activity that is occurring around the nation. 

 

Review and sign bills:  Members reviewed and signed bills.

 

Old Business:

·                       Electrical work-town hall and office: Dave spoke with Rainville Electric last week about the schedule to do the outside light work.  They advised within the next few weeks, will call ahead when scheduled.

 

Selectboard Folder: none

 

Member Concerns:

·                       Lisa reminded the board of the Hanna Rd hearing for Thursday, June 18th in Highgate.  Yvon will attend as other members will attend other meetings.   Concerns of a camp owner on Hill Rd that folks are living there year round illegally.  Need to research if they have state approved septic systems for year round use.  Need to follow enforcement of zoning.

·        Dave-the Planning Commission would like to make an amendment to the development regulations relating to subdivisions.  All subdivisions will get the initial approval from the Zoning Administrator.  The final approval for all subdivisions will be made by the Planning Commission.”  This change is requested for tracking purposes of development in town.  The Selectboard needs to hold a public hearing for changes and post a 30 day notice and warning.  Discussion of the highway crew offering mutual aid to the fire department when needed; the board understands the need of the community at times and approves of the highway crew giving mutual aid where needed. 

·        Yvon asked about the fingerprints for the librarian; Lisa gave the information to the Trustees about what needed to be done.  Looking at use of dyed diesel vs. heating oil, cost is much less.

·        Peter would like to start a sidewalk fund with an annual article at town meeting to save for future projects.  Dave commented that the new sidewalk looks good, there is a low area north of the crosswalk that needs to be shimmed as it is puddling water there; he will speak with Jeremy.   Vault space and office dynamics were discussed for the future growth of the town.  Need to look at a 10 year plan for expansion of the town offices for a larger vault, meeting space and other needs. 

 

 

 

 

·        Andy asked about Richard Rd and if it is still a town road to the Canadian border?  There will be a Fenian Raid reenactment on the road next summer; the historical society is checking on road status.  The board believes it is a town road, class III and IV, it was never given up.  The bottom cutter bar teeth have been changed on the weed harvester, it is running ok.  Need to find out about dumping weeds at Ray Jette’s property now that he has passed away.  Yvon will contact family members to inquire.  Pete would like to review paving bid needs at the next meeting.

·        Dog bite hearing will be scheduled for Friday, July 19 at 7:00 pm

 

Adjournment

Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be August 7th at 7 pm

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

July 19, 2019

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting.

These minutes were approved at the August 7, 2019 Selectboard meeting.