Franklin Selectboard Meeting

July 15, 2020 @ 6:00 p.m.
Franklin United Church basement

 

 

 

Call to order

At 6:10 p.m. Peter Magnant called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was said. 

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk, Andy Godin (joined at 7:03 pm)

 

Guests: Carole Richard, Mary Lou Booth

 

Agenda amendments:  Add to Old Business-Town hall roof update and town water district update.  Add to New Business-Rte 120 paving/resurfacing plan.  All members in favor of amendments.

 

Public comment period: none 

 

Approval of minutes: Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to approve the minutes of June 17th, regular meeting as written.  Peter advised he had requested a small change.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.  Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to approve the minutes of June 25th, TAN approval and July 6th, weed harvester interviews as written.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.

 

Town Clerk Concerns: Vote tabulator- Lisa spoke with the Secretary of State Elections about borrowing a vote tabulator for the November election to try one out and due to the pandemic.  Absentee ballots will be mailed to all active voters by the state for the November election. There should be very little traffic at the polls.  The board discussed and agreed that we can count safely and do not need a tabulator.

 

Highway Dept: 

·                   Driveway permit:  Joseph Barney has submitted a permit to upgrade an ag driveway on Middle Rd for property recently purchased, discussed location. Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to give permission for Jeremy B and Andy G to sign off on the permit based upon their approval of the permit for Joseph Barney.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.

·                   Yield sign Richard Rd/Gallup Rd:  Carole Richard and Mary Lou Booth entered the meeting.   Peter advised he spoke with Tyler of VTrans and the concerns about installing yield signs.  Bethany, NRPC, also reviewed the intersection and has concerns with Gallup Rd traffic having to yield to Richard Rd traffic; with little traffic and Gallup Road being the through road; would not recommend this flow.  Should consider reconfiguring the triangle corner; remove tree in the center of curve and make into a “Y” intersection by removing one leg of the intersection.  Mary Lou asked about a yield sign on Richard Rd traveling south onto Gallup Rd.   May need to consider a “curve” sign as many people go off the road going around the corner from Richard onto Gallup Rd here.   Carole asked about comments to reclassifying the Richard Rd after the intersection to a class 4 road; Peter advised it was mentioned, but is not in the best interest of the board.  Carole asked about grading/gravel on the road, in bad shaped and needs work; also snow plowing is done minimally.  Border Patrol go to the end of the road which abuts the border, daily to watch the area.

·                   Garage humidity concern:  Yvon has been researching options for dehumidifiers to remedy the humidity issue.  The quote he had gotten with Uline in the spring is the best option for capacity and area of coverage.  Dave will assist the highway crew to mount the unit up on the wall and drain with sump pump and float.  Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to purchase the dehumidifier for the highway garage as quoted and installation with sump pump and float switch to pump water outside.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.  

·                   Weed harvester update:  Andy advised Yvon the harvester is still down; Ken Bocash came and looked at it and has ordered a new carburetor; bad due to ethanol fuel, need to use non-ethanol gas.   Should be here next week and get

 

 

 

back running.  Yvon spoke with Aquamarine about our issues with the machine and they advised they recently have found the hydraulic system valves are moving over time and need to be adjusted; they have sent him info on this adjustment to be made.  Yvon asked for a price to replace the gas engine with a diesel one and the mounting plates needed.  Yvon also asked for a quote from Champlain Valley Equipment for a new diesel engine. 

 

Review and approve bills:  board members reviewed and signed warrants.

 

Old Business:

·                   Dog complaint/ Middle Rd: Dennis, ACO and Deputy Rainville visited the residents on Friday, July 10th and advised they need to keep the dogs from barking constantly.  They have anti-bark collars and will work to control the barking.  Owner stated they did not receive the violation tickets.  The issue is being addressed.

·                   Aquatic Nuisance Grant award:  Lisa advised we have been awarded a grant of $1695 from the State for operation of the weed harvester.  Andy G/Yvon D made a motion to authorize Peter to electronically sign the aquatic nuisance grant award.  All members voted in favor; motion passed.

·                   Sidewalk policy: Peter suggested an addition to the parking concern; add- if there is not sufficient green space between the sidewalk and the road, temporary parking on a portion of the sidewalk is allowable.  This parking should be for less than an hour for unloading vehicles or quick visits.  This is not to be considered regular parking and should be avoided whenever possible.  Lisa will update for final review and adoption at the next board meeting. 

·                   Park & Ride line stripping: Lisa spoke with VTrans about maintenance of the lot and who’s responsible for stripping.  They advised it is on the town to maintain the stripping. 

·                   Town hall roof update:  Peter asked Dave on the progress.  The north side has been stripped, sheathed and ready for tin.  Rob from LCCA wants to use the town hall on July 25th for a director meeting, in case of rain.  Will contact the town clerk’s office to schedule.   

 

New Business:

·       Water District update:  Peter advised the district has put out a conserve water notice as levels were below the overflow; until the level is back up.  Work will begin on the upgrades next week.  Some work on the valve system may wait until spring if needed as tanks need to be drained. 

·       Change of appraisal notice:  The listers have given a notice for change of ownership of the ballfields to the town and the assessment of 60,300.  The town is tax exempt, but this now reflects as town property on the grand list.

·       Human Rights Day Proclamation:  Dec 10, 2020 would be the celebration of Human Rights Day.  Peter read the proclamation aloud as drafted by a PhD student from Durban University; he has asked every community to adopt the proclamation in awareness and support of human rights for all.  Yvon D/Dave B made a motion for Franklin to proclaim Dec 10, 2020 as Human Rights Day.  All members voted in favor; motion passed. 

·       Rte 120 paving update:  State Transportation has forwarded a plan for resurfacing 5.1 miles of Rte 120 from Sheldon to Franklin.  NRPC TAC committee has made comments and input for this action.  Waiting for the boring results of the frost heave that happens below Rice Hill Rd intersection for repairs before paving. 

 

Member Concerns:  

Dave- a resident was upset about having the monuments cleaned as it removes the historic value.  Conduit is broken at meter outside town clerk’s office, Lisa will call VEC.

Lisa-discussed the Census participation; Franklin is only at about 50%.  Need to spread the word for people to go on-line and report if they haven’t done so.  These results are important for the community.  The education tax rates have been received and are up.  

Yvon- town sign is complete except for the plexi-glass that can not be found anywhere right now. 

Peter- asked if the highway truck delivery is on schedule for Oct; Yvon advised yes.

 

 

 

 

Adjournment

Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  All members voted in favor; motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 8:22 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be August 5th at 7:00 pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

July 17, 2020

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular Selectboard meeting.