Franklin Selectboard Meeting

January 3, 2019 @ 6:00 pm
Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 6:03 p.m. Peter M called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Yvon Dandurand, Dave Bennion, Brooks Sturtevant, Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

 

Guests: Jean Richard & Michelle Guilmette, Auditors; Jake Dandurand and Jeremy Barnum, highway crew; Devin Bachelder, Schoolboard.

 

Agenda amendments:  Dave asked to add to Old business the quote for the town hall furnace duck work from John Mercy.  All in favor.

 

Public comment period:  None

 

Approval of Minutes:  December 13th dog hearing minutes-Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the minutes as written.   Three members voted in favor, Peter abstained, motion passed

December 19th minutes – Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the minutes as written.  All members voted in favor, motion passed.

 

 Act 46 discussion: Devin Bachelder reviewed the discussions of the Supervisory Union Board meeting on January 2; David Kelley, Attorney of the lawsuit has asked the judge for an emergency hearing before January 9 in hopes of an injunction for all involved in the lawsuit.  The default articles of agreement will be in place if we do not draft our own.  January 10th the four school boards (Franklin, Highgate, Swanton, MVU) will meet to appoint a committee to draft our own articles of agreement.  Devin would like to discuss some legal strategies of our local school board regarding the merger.  Peter asked for a motion to enter into executive session; Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to enter into executive session at 6:13 p.m. and invite Devin and Lisa to join.  Three members in favor, Yvon abstained; entered into executive session.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to exit executive session at 6:29 p.m.  No action was taken.  Devin was thanked for updating the board and left the meeting.

 

Budget discussion:

·        Highway budget reviewed:  Tools-need a list from the guys of needed tools/costs to do the necessary repairs to equipment.  Gas and fuel increased to $21,000 due to price increase and consumption, watch to see if this is adequate before the Jan 24 budget meeting; telephone to $900 with internet ($240); Blacktop for Gallup, Hanna and anticipate grant funding to do the rest of Stanley and Swamp Rds.  Jeremy would like to hold off on doing paving if we get a grant until June 2020 and use two years (FY20 & 21) funds to do a larger job, as we would get a better price per ton.

·        The highway crew would like to set-up Jake’s truck with a liquid calcium tank for winter road salt application.  The cost for the equipment is $2,500 and we would install; this would save on two trips back to garage to change sand/salt mix to just sand for the dirt roads vs. blacktop, on the east side of town.  Would use less fuel and salt, save on overtime.  The board would like to put it in as an article for the voters input, Lisa will add to the warning.

·        Jeremy advised the chloride trailer we currently have is very rotted and no longer road safe.  They have found a used dual axel trailer for $2,500 that needs a new deck, would like to purchase now (FY19 budget) to get ready for the summer season.  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion giving authority to Jeremy and Jake to inspect the trailer and purchase if meets their approval and replace the deck for up to $3,000 for a new chloride trailer.  All members voted in favor, motion passed. 

·        Reviewed the general budget-discussed the school merger issue and how this would affect the fiscal services that are done in this office.  That job would be moved to the Supervisory Union office.  The salary and benefits budget would be adjust as well as the projected revenue school reimbursement.  Town hall heating fuel use was discussed as the building seems to be using a lot of fuel compared to the past; maybe due to the new furnace room work, there has been a change in furnace operation.  Dave and Yvon will look into it.

·        Peter would like a power point presentation of the old and new proposed articles to explain the payments and impacts, for the public budget meeting on January 24th.   Michelle will work on putting that together. 

-          Recreation Dept-this is the third year that the Recreation budget has been an individual article;  if the article passes again this year, moving forward it will be included in the general budget.

-          Lake Carmi water quality project will be a minimum of a 10 year commitment for the town. 

-          Peter read the articles on the warning-need to reword the library article of the reserve funds and that they were previously received and need to be held for a specific purpose. 

 

Review and sign bills:  Members reviewed and signed bills.

 

Warning review:  Board reviewed the warning draft.

 

Old Business: 

·                       Dave got a quote from John Mercy for the town hall duct work to reduce the noise level at the registers; quote is $1,400.  Will need to be discussed and looked into further for other options as well.

 

New Business:  none

 

Selectboard folder: -land trust letter on behalf of Mike & Denna Benjamin

-                              CLA and COD notice from Property Valuation; we are maintaining at a very good level from our 2012 reappraisal.

-                              Franklin County court budget/assessment meeting notice if interested in attending

 

Member concerns/other business: Yvon-with town meeting coming up, he would like to make it known that he will be looking to get off the board; will try to finish his term (2021) but has his hands full with his personal schedule and needs to get off the boards.

 

Next meeting date is January 24th @ 7:00 pm at the School Library for the public budget input.

 

Adjournment

At 8:38 pm Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion carried.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

January 4, 2019

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting.