Franklin Selectboard Meeting
February 7, 2018 @ 7:00 pm
Franklin Town Clerk’s Office
Call to order
At 7:10 p.m. Peter M called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
PRESENT: Peter Magnant, Yvon Dandurand, Brooks Sturtevant. Snowy night not all members present.
GUESTS: Jordy Fraties
Agenda amendments: Road and Bridge Standards and loader discussion moved/tabled to next meeting.
Public comment period: Jordy Fraties would like to be considered for the Planning Commission. He attended the last meeting they had; lives on Hanna Rd, interested in town government, local gov’t can make a difference. Planning Commission is a good place to start, positive move to learn ropes of town gov’t. There is an open position, after town meeting will have renomination process.
Approve minutes of January 25, 2018
Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to accept the January 25 minutes as written. Vote taken on the motion. All in favor, motion carried.
· Highway mileage certificate for 2018 was reviewed and discussed. 57.5 total town miles, 13.45 state highway. Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to accept the highway mileage certificate. No discussion, all in favor and members signed the certificate.
· Overweight road restrictions: Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the overweight limits and postings. Peter read aloud all the roads impacted by the limits/postings; standards and types of vehicles. The permits are signed by the Road Commissioner annually. All members voted to approve the road overweight limits.
Town Clerk's concerns:
· Weed harvester grant: the estimated cost to operate for FY18 is $11,000 to improve water quality and the milfoil issue; the estimated match is $3,000. Peter read the grant application and town cover letter to DEC. Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the grant application for the weed harvesting/aquatic nuisance control. All members in favor, Peter signed the grant.
· 2017 Grand List: Peter read aloud the certificate of grand list for 2017, no pending appeals or suits per the Town Clerk. Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve and sign the grand list, all members in favor and signed.
Open meeting law discussion: Peter sent an email to our representatives regarding the changes to the open meeting law .
Review and sign bills
All SB members reviewed and signed the bills.
Old business: Yvon spoke with Cindy Ryan at Dept of Homeland Security (DHS) regarding the Morses Line project. They are replacing the gates that are manually closed, on the same footprint with new gates that are remotely controlled. Yvon asked if DHS had spoken with property owners; they were fine with it. The project will start once the ground is thawed. Yvon recommended a courtesy call to Betty Rainville as well. DHS requested a letter from the Selectboard/Town saying that they approve of the project and there are no permits needed.
New business: None
Selectboard folder: email from a group regarding senior resources; inquiring if a link can be put on the town website for this information.
Member concerns/other business
from the Highgate Selectboard would like to thank the Franklin Fire Dept for their help with the Swanton flooding. The MVU informational budget meeting is
Thursday, March 3 @ 7 pm.
· It was brought to the board’s attention that there may be a septic system built on or near town property; the board will investigate.
· Tim Magnant will be unable to be town moderator at town meeting this year. Peter will start the meeting and nominate a new moderator; they have to be a registered voter. Yvon will reach out to Jim Messier to see if interested.
· Peter will be testifying in Montpelier on Thursday about the Lake in Crisis legislation, meeting with Speaker of the House on how the lake affects the town. $80,000 is budgeted for water quality (8% of budget) on two different projects. Alum is not a viable option until the phosphorous level is reduced.
Next meeting date is February 21, 2018 at 7:00 pm at the Town clerk’s office
At 8:19 pm Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion carried.
Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk
February 8, 2018
These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting. These minutes were approved at the February 21, 2018 selectboard meeting.