Franklin Selectboard Meeting

December 16, 2020 @ 7:00 p.m.
Zoom virtual meeting

 

 

 

Call to order

At 7:03 p.m. Peter Magnant called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was said. 

 

Present: Peter Magnant, Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Brooks Sturtevant, Andy Godin (at 7:49), Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk.

 

Guests: Jeremy Barnum, Highway foreman; Bryce Bachelder, Kim Gates Maynard, Paula Tremblay & Bridget Thompson, Rec Dept; Josh Worman & Stacie Tremblay, Library; Mike Lawyer, Water Board.

 

Agenda amendments:  Add to old business-weed harvester engine update and review Selectboard report to town report.  All in favor.

 

Public comment period: none

 

Approval of minutes: Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the minutes of December 2nd regular meeting as written.  All members voted in favor 3-0; motion passed.

 

Highway Dept: 

·                   Municipal General Roads permit (MGRP): Lisa reviewed the annual permit for the State on erosion control of dirt roads and inventory road status tracked by NRPC.  NRPC submitted the inventory to ANR.  Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the MGRP and authorize Peter Magnant to sign with inventory submitted by NRPC.  All members voted in favor 3-0; motion passed.

 

Budget Review: salaries were discussed and will be reviewed later in executive session.

·                   General- most lines approved as discussed at last meeting. Building Maintenance line-do we need to budget for generator repair?  Yvon will discuss status later in meeting. 

·                   Highway-

o      chloride-4500 gal/load x5 loads @ $1.02/gal, should increase to $22,950 with winter use as well. 

o      General roads permit-every three years there is an administrative fee of $850 including the $1350 annual fee

o      Salt/sand-reduced due to use of chloride in winter and price drop of salt.

o      Repair and maintenance-list a breakdown by each piece of equipment in narrative.  Massey tractor will need to front tires for $700; grader needs much work, estimate is $10,000 to rebuild center ring.  Lisa advised the FY21 budget may have funds to do the work this spring. Jeremy no worth fixing this machine, it’s a 1982 and more could go on it.  Caterpillar quote for new machine, can finance for 10 years at $32,000/yr.  Brooks-can we rent or lease a machine if not able to buy this year if it’s not worth the repair? Peter would like to repair and get several more years from it; would like to pay off the loader before another large purchase. Yvon-how is the transmission and engine, are they strong? Jeremy-yes seem to be right now; why not let the voters decide if it’s too much.  Peter-not comfortable with bringing to the voters this year. 

o      Weed harvester-Yvon has gotten prices to build a new trailer to transport the machine; materials only, steel, wheel/axels, platform for approx. $2800.  Have been researching options.  Budget in repair and maintenance $5,000 to build a trailer. 

·                   Jeremy will get Lisa an equipment breakdown for the narrative within the repair and maintenance line.  Peter asked about humidity issue; Jeremy advised are filling a 55-gal drum in 24 hours, so its working well so far. 

·                   Library-Josh and Stacie were present; Stacie stated still asking for town assessment of $39,000, mostly for salaries; the overage of funds from this year will cover the health insurance again for next year.  Following that may need to request more funds to cover health insurance.  Josh-book budget will be a bit off due to delays with orders this spring, expense got pushed back to current fiscal year.  Not as many visits in person but on-line books steady.  Stacie-fundraising was off this year with no in person; have ideas for next year.  Brooks asked Josh if he is getting community support and plans to stay a while?  Josh-yes he’s very happy here and enjoys the job in assisting residents coming to the library.  Josh and Stacie were thanked and exited the meeting.

·                   Rec Dept-Paula and Bridget were present; Bridget advised the budget was the same and the request from the town at $16,000.  Budget lines had to be adjusted with change in activities and reduced program income.  With change in director and move to hourly pay vs. salaries, hope to get a better feel of use of time.  Little League went well, thanks to Paula for the protocol policy and control.  Soccer went well also.  Halloween Spooktacular was a success.  Got a grant from Rise VT or outdoor family activities; purchased an outdoor movie projector and inflatable screen for movies on the green.  No winter carnival or polar express this year.  Yvon and Peter thanked the Recreation board for all their work.

 

New Business: 

·       Water Dept: Mike was present to discuss the need for drilling a well for a second village water source.  State requirements are looking for data for one year of usage and volume, feels the State will probably mandate a second source due to the water shortage for the past few years.  Drilling a well will cost approx. $100,000; need to have chlorination, testing, connect to current system.  A study of options to locate will cost approx. $8,500; $38,000 to monitor, state permits, ect before the final drilling location is set.  Mike is looking at a 0% deferred loan until the construction occurs; then there is some loan forgiveness for the loan.  Yvon-how many sites are being considered?  Mike-will look around the current spring site; but concern to also affect the current supply source.  Behind Dick Wright’s on the town property would be the ideal location, rather than having to purchase more land and close to the current system.  Cost would be paid by the current users; do not want to have to do, but the State is pushing.  Peter-it is important to have a good water supply for the village.  Do not want to have to haul water again and have the tight restrictions on usage.  John Kiernan has started the preliminary study and will continue with the blessing of the board.  The current project is almost complete, need to install the overflows.  The real time data ability shows usage of 14 gallons per minute and the source is producing 45 gal/minute.  The Board concurs and is good with proceeding on the study for the well drilling.  Mike exited the meeting.

 

Review bills for approval of warrants: three members will come into the office to review and sign warrants.  Peter inquired what the Recordsforce payment of $13,340 is: Lisa advised that is the scanning and uploading of land records for on-line research with the digitization grant.  There will be approx. $4,000 more of cost to complete 40 years of records access on-line; will use reserve computerization funds.

 

Town Clerk Concerns:

·                   Cemetery policy:  Dwight Tatro is willing to join the Cemetery Commission and making the village cemetery his care.  He has reviewed the policy and made a few recommendations.  Kim-the VT Cemetery Assoc might be a good resource for the policy as well.   Robert Gates is the sextant of the Maple Grove cemetery, may have some input on the policy.  Will wait until next meeting for further review. 

·                   VT Rte 236 project loan:  reviewed the loan documents with the VT Bond Bank for the engineering of the project in the amount of $13,960.  Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to approve the loan of $13,960 for the State revolving loan funds with the VT Bond Bank for Rte 236 project.   All members voted in favor 5-0; motion passed. 

·                   Town meeting article/officers:  the grand juror position is no longer needed.  There are no special articles this year, just the basic items as usual.  For the budget would like to list the general fund and highway fund to be voted on separately. 

·                   ZA report:  reviewed Wendy’s Dec report

 

Old Business: 

·                   Tree warden:  follow up with NRPC and ANR on town action needed.

·                   ACO discussion:  review the request to be the back up for Dennis, current ACO, when needed and should we consider funding for an assistant.  Board does not want to add to budget at this time, will review more at later date.

·                   Generator discussion:  Yvon spoke with Dana, he has serviced the generator, replaced the temp gauge, circulation pump, and filter/oil change.  He will do a pressure test soon and will get back on the status of the machine.  Yvon contacted Shaun Coleman, NRPC, about state funding for emergency shelter generators; state has done away with funding for these.  Would rather fix if needed then replace. 

·                   Weed harvester update: Yvon advised the new engine is being fabricated as we speak with our accessories and should ship to us by Dec 22nd.  Got a quote from Aquamarine for the conversion kit at $1800 but this does not include the bell housing and coupler to join the equipment; still working on that.  

 

Member Concerns:  

Lisa-Letter in folder from St. Albans Police Dept regarding update of the cell tower being installed on Georgia Mt.

Brooks-concern with the smooth transition with two new board members and the bank of knowledge that board will be losing.  Peter states they will pass along all info needed to continue.

Dave- Kay Cook from the Homestead wants to continue to do blood drives at the town hall; board is ok with that.  Rutland Herald ran an article about our inclusion statement that they are encouraging their county to adopt. 

Peter- we can go into executive session to discuss salaries. 

 

Executive Session:  Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to enter in to executive session at 9:29 pm to discuss salary raises for FY22.  Lisa exited the meeting at this time.

Exited executive session.  Board approved raises of $.60 for highway crew, clerk and assistant for FY22.

 

Adjournment

Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  All members voted in favor; motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:46 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be January 6, 2021 @ 6:00 pm via Zoom

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

December 17, 2020

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular Selectboard meeting.