Franklin Selectboard Meeting

August 21, 2019 @ 7:00 p.m.
Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 7:18 p.m. Yvon Dandurand called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. 

 

Present: Dave Bennion, Yvon Dandurand, Andy Godin, Brooks Sturtevant and Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

 

Guests: Kim Gates Maynard, Chris Ferland, Health Officer; Clark Hubbard, Planning Commission; Joanne Rosploch, Peter Rosploch.

 

Agenda amendments:  none

 

Public comment period:  Kim has concerns with the electrical outlet that has been installed on the front lawn of the clerk’s office; are there plans to hide it, as it detracts from the building and may be a safety concern.  Dave advised it will be discussed in member concerns later. 

 

·        Development Regulation review/updates:  Clark, Planning Commission Chair, was present to discuss some zoning violations and development regulation reviews with the board.  The description of seasonal dwelling in the regulations is pretty clear on seasonal use being less than 180 days per year.  Need to review the leases with the land owner and campers of the camps in violation of living year round in the shoreline district.  Page 11, section 2.8 of the regulations speaks of violations and how to handle them; need to follow the rules.  Zoning Admin needs to initiate the process.  Planning Commission, Selectboard and ZBA should review the desired requirements of the town for change of use and conditional use to convert a camp from seasonal to year-round use; such as septic, potable water, parking, year-round emergency access.  As the ZBA makes the decisions on these matters, need to have guidelines to follow. 

            Mrs. Rosploch advised many of these trailers have been there since the 1960’s and they live there year-round.  The leases state seasonal use, she follows the rules.  She has spoken with Ted Meunier and he is going to look into further.  Yvon advised the board will continue to look into.

·        Dog update:  Chris was present to update the board on the Vorse dog issue and the conditions made by the board.  He and Dennis have made a visit to the Vorse residence, not in compliance with the letter of requests made.  No harness or leash on the dog, the doggie door has a removable cover that was not permanently installed, no signs yet they have apparently been ordered.  Still have concerns with safety of the public that come to his business.  Chris was thanked and exited the meeting. 

 

Highway Department: none 

 

Town Clerk Concerns:

·                       PACIF grant:  Lisa reviewed the amended grant from April to resubmit for the Sept round of funding, there were safety violations that needed attention at the town garage before the grant could be approved; vendors and pricing was adjusted for better funding as requested by the PACIF group.  Board approved the grant and Yvon signed.

·                       Town office-hot water heater:  the town clerk’s office water heater has sprung a leak and needs to be replaced.  The 2.5 gal on demand heaters are pricey and it is located inside the wall, which is not convenient.  Get a quote to install a larger heater in the back office, so it is not within the wall.  Will discuss further at Sept meeting. 

·                       Water district vote: the water district has set Nov 5th as the vote for the approval of funding for the upgrades to the water system.  They need to confirm a term for the note and wording details for the warning at the next meeting.  An informational meeting will be held on Oct 30th.  The Selectboard will need to sign the warning.  Must be posted 30-40 days before the vote. 

 

Approval of minutes: Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to approve the August 7th minutes with changes.  All members voted in favor, motion passed. 

 

Review and sign bills:  Members reviewed and signed bills.

 

Old Business:

·        Town hall painting east side:  Yvon spoke with JA Roberts about the job.  They were going to call and stop by to give a quote.  Lisa will contact a few others for a quote.

·        Hill Road zoning violation:   The Selectboard, Planning Commission and ZBA will meet to discuss expectation on changes of use with conditions and on enforcement as needed.  Lisa will speak with Wendy Sargeant, ZA and Ted about meeting to discuss the leases and seasonal use. 

·                    Dog ordinance review:  The board will review and discuss updates needed to protect the public on property of the dog owner when bites occur.  Lisa will check with the VLCT staff attorney on the town’s jurisdiction for enforcement.

 

New Business: none

 

Selectboard Folder: none

 

Member Concerns:

·                       Dave updated that Rainville Electric has completed their work at the office and town hall. The electrical outlet post on the office lawn needed to be above ground to meet code.   Need to cover to make more eye appealing, maybe a wishing well over it.  Dave will speak with Kim on suggestions. 

·                       Andy advised the harvester has moved back to the south end of the lake.  The highway crew is going to need the tractor for the road side mowing next week, so the harvester will be coming out of the water.

·        Lisa discussed town clerk pay for extra days worked over her scheduled days for coverage of the assistant.  The board is ok with paying for the extra worked days if comp time is not wanted. 

 

Adjournment

Brooks S/Dave B made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be September 18th at 6 pm

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

August 23, 2019

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting.

.