April 19, 2019 @ 9:00 am
Call to order
At 9:08 a.m. Peter M called the
meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Peter Magnant, Yvon Dandurand, Andy Godin, Dave Bennion, Lisa Larivee, Town
Cota, VTrans District 8; Bethany Remmers, NRPC; Jeremy Barnum, Highway Foreman;
Kim Gates Maynard; Adam Kane; Kyle & Jane Lothian (arrived later)
Agenda amendments: Lisa asked to
add to the highway department; discuss the highway lot stormwater project and
approving additional funding with the subcontractor agreement. Add to town clerk concerns; review generator
comment period: Kim Gates wanted to
inquire about moving the Park & Ride sign that is on the library lawn; can
it be moved to the other side of the street by the fire station and share a
post with the current sign? Jim Cota
advised he cannot make that decision but the point of contact would be Dave
Blackmore and Josh Shultz; sign engineer, for this request. Kim also asked about the yield sign at the
north end of Main St, can it be changed to be a yellow cautionary sign rather
than just a white/black sign. Jim
advised that was the engineered design.
Kane entered the meeting regarding a complaint of Jason Vaillancourt’s
dogs. They are aggressive toward our
small dog and children in our own yard, they were growling at the kids when
they got off the bus last week with the hair standing up on their backs. They defecate on my porch and in my yard all
the time. The board will send a written
notice about keeping the dogs home and ask the Animal Control officer to visit
Minutes: Yvon/Dave made a motion to approve the minutes of April 3, 2019 as
written. Pete advised of a few corrections
to be made. Line 33 should read phosphorus not prosperous; line 39 add “John
Tucci answered”; line 93 change Lisa will get this back to the Sheriff for
changes. All in favor of minutes as
corrected, motion passed.
Jim Cota and
Bethany Remmers were thanked for joining the meeting to review concerns of the
reconstruction: Pete advised that the
TAC has rated this road number one for a recommended project; the board has
contacted our representatives at legislature asking to prioritize the
project. Jim advised the need to be sure
to ask for the right kind of project; they will most likely do reclamation of
road and repave with three layers of pavement.
There is little gravel as a base and the road needs a complete
rework. Needs a full depth
reconstruction with under drainage for the appropriate repair. They will do preliminary plans of engineering
and the board needs to make comments at this time to be sure it is done
correctly. Contact Chad Allen as he is
the ranking spearhead for road work priorities.
The north end of Rte 120/Main St has a drainage/ditch issue by the
parsonage basin as the water pools across the street. Jim will message Tim at VTrans about ditching
Kyle & Jane Lothian entered the meeting at this
time; he wanted to personally thank the board for the card and their thoughts
and prayers for his recovery, Franklin means a lot to him and he is greatful
for this community.
Lake Rd radar
speed signs- discussed the request of the LCCA for signs to alert travelers of
their speed. Would like to put them up
seasonally, May thru Sept. Jim advised
need to do an 1111 permit and are responsible to purchase our own signs and
install. Bethany advised grant funding
may be available with the VTrans Bike-Pedestrian program with a 50/50 match,
could apply for the FY21 season.
program through NRPC, Bethany has a confirmation letter of the FY19 work to be
done by June 30th on Gallup Rd as she discussed with Jeremy.
Additional funding of the State/Federal funds for
FY20 and FY21 has been approved for NRPC projects with towns. Funding can be used for class 1 thru 4 roads.
grant has been submitted for Stanley Rd; Jim advised we are currently ranked 13th
on the list and will be given funding for this repaving project. Eligible for a $175,000 grant. Jeremy discussed waiting until June 2020 to
do paving with two years budget funds; we could do more work and get a better
bulk price with less charges for mobilization of equipment. Jim advised need to be sure to procure with
three bids for all grant funded jobs; if parties do not bid that you request
from just make note of such, that they did not reply. Peter asked if we should crack seal roads
before resurfacing them? Jim advised need to ask the paving experts what is
recommended. The board’s concern is the
ability to get three vendors to bid on paving; Jim advised contact Pike,
Whitcom, Grey, Hutchins, ECI and ST Paving.
Hold a legal bid opening for all work to be done with a publicly
announced opening date & time, document all bids received, and identify the
low bidder. Should discuss the details
and choose the vendor in executive session.
Bridge standards- Bethany reviewed the new standards being proposed to be more
in line with the requirements of the Municipal General Roads permit. They are
combining the DEC and VTrans standards together. The board should review and submit
recommendations. Can stabilize gully
erosion on class 4 roads with the standards.
Stone availability is a concern of many towns throughout the area.
Rd culvert-need to have a hydraulic study done; need to note the condition of
the structure and the water quality impacts.
The engineering could be ten years out to complete the project, look at
the highway grant program due in July for funding.
of Hanna Road-discussed the necessary upgrades to reclassify to a class 2 road;
line center and edge lines, send questions to Jim Cota. The orange book section 2-1 chapter 13 has
guidelines for reclassification of roads.
Lisa will do a letter to Heidi in Highgate about our interest in
changing the road through both towns.
Rd-TAP grant- Lisa advised that we have been awarded the grant of $220,800 with
a $55,200 match and need to sign the State commitment letter for the
project. Pete advised we will need to
request match funding at town meeting 2020 for the project; Lisa advised the
State needs a commitment now to move forward with the plans for engineering,
permits, ect which will be a 2-3 year project. They suggested if we are not
ready to commit the match funds to reject the grant funding and reapply next
year, but there is no guarantee of being awarded money again. Bethany advised if funds are spent once the
grant is approved and the voters deny the match the town will be required to
cover any cost spent on the project.
Yvon D/Andy G made a motion to approve the TAP grant of $220,800 and
match of $55,200 for the Pigeon Hill Rd project and to request the match funds
at town meeting 2020. All members voted
in favor, motion passed. Peter signed
the State commitment letter for the grant project.
updated on the current project and that we are waiting for the State historical
clearance with Peter Pochop for the completion of the State permits. Also need
to speak with Mr. Shultz about the crosswalk on Main St to connect Square Rd to
the new project. We can then complete the contract with the firm awarded the
bid to complete the project. Need to
have a preconstruction meeting and also invite Mark Racine. The State has also asked about the grant for
the scoping study and if that project will be completed or are we declining the
grant funding? Bethany advised to speak
with Gary Atherton from Enosburg that has done much of their sidewalk project
120 intersection-Bethany advised that NRPC has about $7,000 to review options
and challenges for this intersection on how to redirect traffic, new signage,
ect. She will work to hire an engineer
and create a scope of work for our board’s review.
opportunities for highway crew-Jim advised the “orange book” discussions are
very informative and a great way to connect with other area foremen and road
crew. Bethany advised they do foreman’s
workshops to get together for general conversations. Jeremy would like to see grader training in
Yvon thanked Jim and Bethany for all the work being done together for TAC
and the Water Advisory board and for attending a meeting with our board to
for safety gear and to prevent workers comp losses. Lisa reviewed requests of the highway
department; traffic barrels and cones, hearing protection, eye wash station,
new ladder, tire inflation cage, floor jacks, in the amount of $2400 with a 50%
match. Board approved submission of the
grant and Pete signed application.
complaint-Jason Vaillancourt’s dogs have been running at large and being a
nuisance to neighbors, aggressive to people/children and others pets. Lisa will do a letter of first offense
notice, must be registered in 10 days, liability of bites or property damage,
impound fees if complaints continue and copy Dennis, Animal Control to visit
Warden- Burt Maynard was appointed Fire Warden at town meeting, State letter of
appointment must be submitted. Yvon
D/Dave B made a motion to appoint Burt Maynard as Fire Warden; 3 members voted
in favor, Andy-no, motion passed and board signed appointment.
County Sheriff contract- reviewed details of updated contract to match budget
approval. Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to
approve the contract of $6,500 for 132 hours at $49/hr. All members in favor, motion passed, and
inspection- Lisa has been in contact with Shaun Coleman from NRPC about the
need for an inspection; Shaun advised there is no need for an inspection
sticker for an emergency shelter generator per the State Div. of Fire Safety.
Review and sign
bills: Members reviewed and signed bills.
sign aeration project lease agreement for the Evans property. Pete reviewed the changes that have been made
per our town attorney and the board is in approval of the lease agreement. Dave B/Yvon D made a motion to appoint Peter
to sign the lease agreement as the Town’s duly authorized agent, subject to any
non-substantive changes or recommendations of the Town Attorney once the final
is received. All members voted in favor,
Protection Permit review and approval-the permit for the work being done at the
Evans property for the aeration system must have a permit submitted to the
State with the Town as the applicant.
Yvon D/Dave B made a motion to approve the permit and authorize Pete to
sign on behalf of the town. All members
voted in favor, motion passed and Pete signed.
Asset transfer from school to town-Pete advised the town attorney recommended
doing a title search of the school property to protect the town. The Board approves of the title search with
our town attorney before completing the deed transfer. Discussed the asset transfer of the tractor
and mower by a bill of sale from the school to the town. Town attorney suggested a price of $1,000 for
both pieces of equipment; the board would like to negotiate a reasonable figure
as tax payers have previously paid for this equipment already.
Commission member-Sam Gervais has voiced a desire to be on the planning
commission. Dave advised he came to
their last meeting and introduced himself and Dave recommends him for the open
position. Dave B/Yvon D made a motion to
appoint Sam Gervais to the Planning Commission.
All members voted in favor, motion passed.
the Stormwater highway project subcontractor agreement will need to be warned
to be signed at a special board meeting.
Will have a quick special meeting on May 1st at 6:00 pm to
open hay bids and sign the agreement.
May 15th will be the next regular meeting at 6:00 pm. We need to also include
language in the school deed transfer of the use of
the school as the town’s emergency shelter and a cost-sharing of use if
Next meeting date
is May 15th @ 6:00 pm at the Town clerk’s office.
At 12:25 pm Yvon D/Dave B made a
motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in favor; motion passed.
Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk
April 25, 2019
These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular
These minutes were approved by the Selectboard at their
May 15, 2019