Franklin Recreation Meeting September 10, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m..
● The first Library Trustee meeting with the new librarian (Molly) will be on Thursday, September 13. Molly has lots of ideas for the future of the library.
● The summer reading incentives were handed out. Ideas to improve the program for next year will be discussed amongst the trustees and may include collaboration with the PTO.††
● The tree outside the library/town office has been removed.†
Recreation Director Updates
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from August 28. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
Rusty Gregory has been invited to attend a meeting to discuss building a website.††
NWLL Board Representative Voting: Anyone interested in having their name on the ballot to become a Franklin Representative to the NWLL board should send their name to Jeff Raleigh by September 17th. As of this meeting, no one from Franklin has submitted their name.† There are two open spots for Franklin.† Voting will be at the Franklin School on September 24 from 4:30-6:00 p.m..†
Dugout/Field Updates: Bridget confirmed the existing dugout paint color; it is on file at Ace Hardware. The Franklin stencil needs to be located. Paula has chain link fencing and corresponding posts to donate to the field updates. Discussion about moving the dugouts to the tball field, and if there are teenagers in our community who would be willing to help for community service hours.
● Registration forms are still trickling in.
● Initial lining of the two soccer fields has been completed.
● The 5/6 team has been practicing, the remaining teams will begin practices this week.
● The coaches have received their rosters and will be contacting their teams soon, if they havenít already.†
● Games for the 5/6 and 3/4 teams will begin next week.
● The picture date is being rescheduled.
● Bridget took inventory of the soccer equipment. Bridgette will contact Kevin Smithís to order more size 3 balls (appropriate size for ages 8 and under).†
● Bridget made a motion to buy two sets of corner posts and flags for the soccer fields. Stephanie seconded. The motion passed. Bridget will contact the Town Treasurer to complete the purchase.
The slides taken down from the previous playground at the ball fields will be given away.††
There is a minimum purchase of $5000 required to get free shipping and sale prices on Miracle playground equipment.† A quote for swing set costs including shipping and installation is expected this week. Discussion about purchasing a ready to install gaga ball pit; which is slightly more expensive than the original plan of building one with separately purchased lumber, but will provide alternate entertainment at the ball fields, hopefully during the soccer season. Stacy and Bridget will reach out to Rise VT to discuss a change in grant fund allocation.
Community Meeting Planning
November 5 was selected as the date for a community meeting. Local board members will be invited to attend this meeting to discuss collaboration. Stacy will compose and email an invite.
Paint and Sip:† The Paint and Sip is scheduled for September 14 from 6-8 p.m. at Due North Vineyard. The event will host 15 participants and is currently full. Due North will provide a glass of wine to all participants; additional glasses and bottles of wine will be available for purchase. Snacks will be provided by the Recreation Board.†
Fun Run: Franklin Recreation is planning a Glow Run, scheduled for October 12. This event will take place on the athletic fields and will have a kids run and a team option. Pre-registration, by September 28, will include the option to purchase a t-shirt. A flyer and facebook event will be created soon, and the event will be advertised in the school newsletter.††
Trunk or Treat: Tentatively scheduled for October 26. Local businesses will be asked to participate. Details will be further discussed at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:32 p.m..†
The next meeting will† be on Monday, September 24 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin Central School Library.