Franklin Recreation Meeting October 8, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Dave Benion, Molly McGinty, Meagan Kobelt, Joyce Hakey
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m..
Joyce spoke about the upcoming basketball season, including concerns from last year and scheduling games to minimize conflicts with the crossroads program. Bridget shared that Franklin Recreation is hoping to host co-ed pick up volleyball games, starting in January. She also asked about opportunities for the Scouts who installed the Gaga Ball court to provide instruction on how to play Gaga Ball to the school children.
Dave shared about the Selectboard ideas regarding the future of a Town Christmas Tree. They are thinking of installing a cement pad near the corner of the Hanna Road and Main Street with a feature to support a seasonal tree.
Discussion about the Christmas Tree Lighting, tentatively scheduled for Friday, November 30. Last year over 100 people attended the event. Details will be worked out in the future and the event will coordinate with the Haston Library.
Discussion about how the vote to transfer the ball fields to the Town will affect the Recreation Department. Further discussion will occur in upcoming months.
Bridget mentioned that the Recreation Department is exploring alternate avenues to fund the MyRec website.
Franklin Recreation is interested in participating in the Lake Monster game fundraiser again next year.
Recreation Director Updates
Dawn has been working on the 5/6 basketball schedule and has finalized the registration form.
Details about the Regional Recreation Meeting were shared:
● Bridget, Dawn and Stephanie attended.
● There were presentations about Alburg’s pickleball program and Enosburg’s kayak rental program.
● Franklin will host the next Regional meeting on January 23. The focus topics will be marketing and gardening.
Discussion followed about creating a pickleball court in the Town Hall, and possibly hosting a kayaking trip near where the kayaks are stored in Enosburg.
Dawn would like to begin attending every meeting, so that she is better equipped to talk about upcoming events with community members. The board agreed that this is reasonable.
● Molly will plan a story to present at the Glow Run.
● The Haston Library is hosting a Fall Festival on Saturday, Oct 20 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
● The Library will have a trunk at the Trunk or Treat event.
● Molly has been working on updating the calendar on the Library website and is willing to include any Franklin Recreation events.
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from September 24. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
● Warrants signed for $988.04 total::
○ $843.50 for Gaga Ball Pit (Coach Cliff)
○ $126 for Soccer Balls (Kevin Smiths)
○ $18.54 workman’s compensation
● Bridget purchase paint for the dugouts from Ace for $153.11.
● Grizzly Graphix still has not received their check for soccer apparel.
● The RiseVT mini grant funds are on last year’s financial report.
● Soccer income from registrations totaled $1462.
● Supplies purchased for the field maintenance of a specific sport (such as lime or paint to line fields) shall be allocated to that respective budget area. The field maintenance budget will go toward mowing and other upkeep for the grounds.
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Fall Run: The Glow Run will be on October 12, with registration beginning at 5:30 p.m.. As of tonight’s meeting 25 people have signed up to run. T-shirts have been ordered for those who purchased them. All runners will receive a glow necklace. Discussion about set up and supplies needed followed. Stephanie motioned to spend up to $150 on supplies for the glow run. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed. .
Trunk or Treat: The trunk or treat will be on October 26 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in the Franklin School parking lot. Bridget has created a flyer which will be sent home from school on Friday. People interested in hosting a trunk are asked to sign up via email to Franklin Recreation.
Community Meeting Planning
To be further discussed at the next meeting. Stephanie will draft an agenda to review.
Bridget bought paint and Franklin Recreation plans to paint in the near future.
Discussion about if Franklin Recreation will be purchasing an end of year gift for players or coaches. A consensus on the best option was not reached and based on income vs. expenses for the 2018 soccer season, nothing will be provided for this season. The discussion will continue for future athletic seasons.
The basketball registration form is complete and will be sent home with students this week. The 5/6 game schedule is complete, there are currently 10 games scheduled.
RiseVT emailed a list of available grants to the Franklin Recreation email address. There is still approximately $2000 of the RiseVT mini grant funding that needs to be spent. Planning for the spending of this money will be continued at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:51 p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, October 22, at 7:00 p.m. in the Franklin Central School Library.