Franklin Recreation Meeting October 22, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Sam Gervais, Tom Gates, Corey Bertrand
Stephanie called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m..
● Stacy wondered if it would be possible to offer a year round soccer program for kids, since she noticed so many children excelling at soccer during the regular season. An in house program could minimize conflicts with other sports.
● Several parents playing in parent games at the end of the soccer season expressed a desire for an adult soccer league.
● Sports physicals are not required for Franklin Recreation sponsored sports because of the liability waiver that parents must sign on the registration form.
● The Fire Department has reminded us not to park in front of trailer during events at the Library.
● The Town Clerk sent out a reminder to begin working on next year’s budget.
. Library Updates
● Molly was ready with a story at the glow run but was overshadowed by the new Gaga Ball pit.
● The Fall Fest was well attended.
● The Library will have a trunk at the Trunk or Treat event.
● Molly will be reading at the the Safety Fun Party.
● The Library Board is planning on collaborating with Franklin Recreation for the Tree Lighting
● The Library has books ready to give away at the Polar Express.
Recreation Director Updates
Nothing not already on agenda.
Approve Meeting Minutes
Stacy motioned to approve the meeting minutes from October 8. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
● Warrants signed for $505.19:
○ $2.63 for a folder
○ $146.79 for glow run supplies
○ $84.91 for port-o-let
○ $31.86 for flyers copied at school
○ $239 for Grizzly Graphix (glow run shirts)
● Dawn’s payroll and expenses through October 4 totaled $2898.28
● Dawn collected $360 in glow run registration fees, additional fees were collected by the Town Clerk’s office
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Glow Run Recap: The glow run was well attended and people had fun. A flood light would have been a good idea near the start/finish line. The lit up corner with drumming was a nice touch. The Courier published an article about the glow run and gaga ball pit.
Trunk or Treat: Trunk or Treat is Friday, October 26. Sor far 16 trunks have signed up. Dawn will send an email to participants with a reminder that they can arrive to begin setting up as early as 5:30 and their trunks need to be ready by 6:30. Dawn will make a sign in sheet to keep track of how many participants there are and which towns they come from.
Tree Lighting: The tree lighting will be on Friday, November 30. Franklin Recreation will work with the Selectboard and the Haston Library to finalize the details about the tree and the event. Paula suggested having the check in table and hot chocolate outside this year.
Polar Express: Discussion about which day to hold this event will continue at the next meeting.
Soccer (moved up in agenda)
An email was received from the Highgate Athletic Director regarding the last game Highgate played against Franklin. Coaches on both sides and referees all had complaints about the game.
The board entered an Executive Session to further discuss this matter with the Franklin coaches and referees involved. Background about this game and other games versus Highgate this season was provided and discussed. Bridget will respond to the email. A suggestion was made that if all teams agree to a set of rules prior to season, potential conflicts may be avoided. Executive session ended.
Discussion about working harder to make teams fair when splitting teams within an age level next year.
Discussion about if soccer referees were paid last year and if they should be paid this year. Bridgette will look into if/what was paid last year.
Community Meeting Planning
The draft agenda was reviewed by the board. Working on a community calendar will be added to the agenda. Stephanie will send an email reminder about the meeting with the agenda.
The dugouts still need to be painted; this will be completed when the weather and board member schedules are conducive to painting. The Flag and banners need to be taken town before winter and the shed should be organized. Discussion about what to do about mice that like to live in the equipment. Bridgette will buy totes to store gear in.
● Sam volunteered to help with refereeing basketball games.
● Basketball registrations are due at the end of next week (Nov 2) with no registrations being accepted after November 16.
● The first 5/6 game is scheduled for January 7.
● Franklin will participate in the Hoop Shoot contest this year. Franklin’s Hoop Shoot will be held on November 10 at 1:00 p.m.. Participants must be between 8 and 13 years of age, with the cutoff being April 1. The event is free to participate in and winners will advance to the next level. Stacy will make a facebook event and send details home in the school newsletter.
● Dawn will take an inventory of the basketball equipment.
Bridget to follow up with RiseVT about the status of the mini grant we received. A decision about how to spend the remaining money still needs to be made. .
All board members have been asked to look for grant opportunities and a list will be compiled at the next meeting.
Bridgette provided a recap of the first meeting of the new Northwest Little League (NWLL) board. Board positions were elected. Jeff Raleigh was elected president. Ron Underwood will be taking over the Pitch,Hit and Run event.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:26 p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, November 5, at 7:00 p.m. in the Franklin Central School Library.