Franklin Recreation Meeting November 26, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Molly McGinty
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:07 p.m..
● A December Library Events Calendar was recently published
● Tree Lighting
○ Molly is still deciding which story she will read.
○ All supplies needed for hot chocolate are ready.
○ Recreation members are asked to bring a jug of water to the ceremony.
● Crossroads Grant
○ Molly has been working with Carol Lizotte to offer extended after school programming; possibly Friday afternoons from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m..
○ The Bookmobile is interested in running the program for one week each month.
○ Molly is looking for people with talents they may like to share with the participants.
● Children’s Theater/Drama Program
○ Auditions will be held on December 15.
○ Rehearsals will begin in January and will likely be twice a week.
○ The performance will be on March 15 and 16.
○ Information will be sent home from school this week.
Rec Director Updates
Dates for the Lake Monster Ticket fundraiser are filling up. A date of either July 21 or 28 was selected. Dawn will finalize and confirm.
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from November 5. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
● Warrants signed for:
○ $99.90 to Bridgette Favreau for totes for Little League equipment storage (this will be taken out of the Little League funds)
○ $204.94 for lumber/sealant/connectors for Gaga Ball Pit (will be taken out of RiseVT mini grant funds)
○ $84.91 for Port-o-let (discussion about whether this is for October or November, since the agreement was for it to be removed at the end of October)
○ $14.58 for Polar Express supplies
○ $86.27 for Polar Express supplies
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
Tree Lighting: Friday, November 13 at the Haston Library.
● Story in the library at 5:30 p.m.; lighting ceremony at 6:00 p.m..
● Discussion about the tree the Selectboard chose and how and when to decorate.
○ Stacy, Stephanie and Bridget will decorate on Wednesday.
● Stacy will post a reminder on Facebook.
● Flyers will be posted at Franklin General, the Homestead, Franklin Central School and at the Haston Library.
● Dawn will make a sign in sheet.
● Discussion about other supplies and preparation needed.
Polar Express and Lighted Parade: Friday, December 14, starting at 5:00 p.m.
● “Rides” will begin at 5:00 p.m. and will run every 20 minutes until 6:40 p.m.. A “ride” will consist of a 15-20 minute story time followed by a 15-20 minute wagon ride.
● The Lighted Parade will begin at 7:30 p.m..
● Discussion about preparation and supplies needed
○ There are 47 golden tickets left over from last year and lots of gold paper
○ Santa is needed
○ Dawn will confirm with wagon drivers
○ Signups for this event will go through Dawn
○ Paula and Nancy are making a background for photos
○ Volunteers are needed to be elves
○ The Girl Scouts are donating cookies
○ The Library has books to give away to each participant
○ Each participant will get a bell and candy cane
■ Bells and candy canes have been purchased and delivered
○ One participant in each “ride” will get the first gift of Christmas
■ Gifts have been purchased and delivered
Winter Carnival: Tentative date of Saturday, February 9 from 2:00 - 6:00 p.m. was selected.
● Bridgette organized shed and put all Little League equipment in totes. Boys Majors equipment hasn’t been returned.
● Some winter preparation still needs to be done, including removing signs, flag, garbage, portolet, and soccer nets
● Discussion about when the gym is free and blackout dates.
● Discussion about the structure of the boys 3/4 and 5/6 teams, as well as the preschool-2nd grade teams.
○ Itty Bitty through 2nd grade teams will be finalized at the next meeting.
○ The 3/4 and 5/6 teams will all begin practicing soon, if they haven’t already..
● Hoop shoot winners have been notified. The next level competition is Saturday, December 1 at 9:00 a.m. at BFA.
● Discussion about sending an extra basketball apparel order form out
Adult Volleyball: Fridays from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. beginning on January 4 and continuing weekly until February 17.
PickleBall: Dawn emailed Donna Blouin to see if she would be willing to be a point person for the pickleball league and to invite her to the next meeting.
Cross Country Ski Trail: If someone in the community would like to do this, Franklin Rec will support the effort.
Discusion about using RiseVT mini grant funds to buy an inflatable obstacle course. Bridget and Stacy will reach out to RiseVT to discuss further.
Town Report and Budget
To be discussed at next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:13 p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, December 3, at 7:00 p.m. in the Franklin Central School Library.