Franklin Recreation Meeting November 16, 2020 (draft)
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay, Lissy Bachelder, Jenessa Gervais, Jen Dewing
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m..
Paula shared details from the most recent Library Trustee meeting:
● Community calendar: one calendar with all community events would be nice.† Paula suggested working with the Town Clerk.
● Newsletter: the Haston Library is considering putting out a newsletter.
● Town events can be shared with the Telephone Company who will put notices on their phone bill envelopes.†
● Book giveaway on night of Polar Express: safe distribution of books was discussed.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from October 26. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
● Paula will go to the Town Clerk office to sign the following bills:
○ $125 for port-o- let
○ 126.75 for Dawn for Rec Coordinator duties in October
● Soccer reimbursement from School Board. A check was sent to the Town to reimburse 5/6 players. Refund checks will need to be mailed out to families.†
Bridget motioned to approve this report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.†
Action Item Review
● The to-do list was reviewed and updated.†
● Paula has begun working on a strategic plan for the Rec Department, based on an ongoing action item list. The first two items to discuss are a Newsletter and Mascot Competition.†
● Newsletter: The Rec Board discussed having a monthly newsletter that will do the following:
○ Recap recent events.
○ Highlight upcoming events.
○ The newsletter may also include a recipe of the month and encourage more people to interact or volunteer to help with Rec events.†
● Newsworthy events will also be sent to the school to be included in their newsletter and sent to the telephone company for advertisement on their billing envelopes.
● Mascot Competition: †Franklin Rec would like to have a mascot for Rec Sponsored athletics.†
○ A competition will start in January, asking community members to submit their ideas.
● Dawn has completed her time as Rec Coordinator.††
● Bridget will help Jenessa with any final transitional needs.†
● MLB Grant: Stacy is working on defining a budget for this grant.
● LL Grant: Paula spoke with the NWLL board about this grant, and they are willing to help with any information needed.†
● Amplify grant: this grant for mountain bike obstacles was reviewed and will be submitted soon.†
Glow Run Recap: October 23 6 p.m. check-in, 6:30 p.m. race.
● Approximately 65 people attended this event.†
Halloween Spooktacular Recap:† October 30 5:30-7:00 p.m.
● This event went well. Approximately 100 people attended and there were 11 families who decorated trunks, rounding out the 150 person occupancy limit.
● The movie was great. Many people stayed despite the cold night.†
● A waterproof sound system and larger blower are needed in addition to the screen and projector.
Tree Lighting: †December 4.
● Jenessa will ask Jim and Nancy Jewett if they would like to donate a tree again this year.†
● Franklin Rec received a RiseVt grant to purchase decorations for the tree lighting and Polar Express. Discussion about which items to purchase for decorating the tree followed.
● The Rec Department members will set up and decorate the tree after Thanksgiving.†
● The tree lighting will be a virtual event on December 4. Details to follow
Polar Express and Lighted Parade: Due to COVID restrictions, Franklin Rec will not be able to host their annual Polar Express and Lighted Parade events.
Ideas for alternative events were discussed and the following were chosen:
● Christmas Scavenger Hunt:
○ Community members who would like to volunteer their house to be part of the hunt are asked to contact Franklin Rec by 11/27.
○ Clues will be created to send community members on a hunt around
○ Clue answers should be submitted to Franklin Rec.
○ Prior to Christmas, all participants will be entered into a drawing and four prizes will be awarded.†
● House Lighting Competition
○ Franklin Residents will be encouraged to decorate their houses and then drive around town and vote for their favorites.†
○ A grand prize winner will be drawn prior to Christmas.†
Field Prep for Winter:
● Randy volunteered to winterize the fields.†
● Jenessa will follow up on loaned out equipment.†
● The Town has stored their lawn mower in the shed for the winter.†
● Paula will go to the field this week to see if the port-o-let is still there and if the flag is still up.†
● Little League rules will not allow the two boys who have aged out of LL to play during the regular season. They may be eligible to play with the 7th grade team.†
● The next NWLL meeting will be in January.
● Ron Underwood is the new NWLL Board president.
● The MVSD has decided not to allow elementary schools in the district to play basketball in their school.†
● The latest guidance from the Governor has paused all recreational athletics.†
● The Rec Board has many ideas for alternate, outdoor, winter activities, however, all social gatherings are currently banned, so no plans will be made at this time.†
● The Rec Board is interested in purchasing
The meeting was adjourned at 9:16 p.m.
A special meeting is planned for Monday, November 30 to plan the Christmas Scavenger Hunt. The next regular meeting will be on Monday, December 7.† Both meetings will start at 7:00 p.m. and are currently planned to be virtual via Google Meet.†