Franklin Recreation Meeting May 8, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:58 p.m..
Franklin Recreation received an email from the town with the reminder that there are still lights on the Town Christmas Tree and there is ornament debris under the tree. Board members will clean this up.
Discussion about sending cards to sponsors and other supporters.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from April 23. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
Nothing new to report.
Recreation Directorís Report
Highgate and Alburg are looking to schedule soccer games for their 5/6 teams. Discussion about when the send out soccer forms for each level. Registrations for next yearís 5/6 team will be sent out before the end of the school year.†
Action Item Review
The action items were reviewed. Four items were closed. Several items involve Little League or other summer programming and were discussed along with those subjects.†
Other items include
● A storage building, which is waiting on quotes and input from potential builder.
● Whether Franklin Recreation sponsored events will be charged a fee to use the Town Hall.
● The need to renew the VT Parks and Recreation Membership.
All volunteers who filled out a returning background check need to do a new one due to a change in the company who completes the Little League background checks. Recreation Board members will hand out forms to volunteers. Forms need to be filled out and returned within the week.†
NWLL is sponsoring a fundraiser. Forms will be handed out to each family by coaches.
The NWLL Pitch Hit and Run events did not have great participation. Only approximately ten players attended.
Discussion about dugout updates and field maintenance:†
● A project to improve the dugouts on the softball field is planned for the summer.†
● Painting of dugouts will be completed during the summer.†
● Curtis Ploof has agreed to mow the fields once per week during the Little League season for a rate of $30 per field. He will work with the town to determine which days they mow the fields.
● There are ground wasps on the softball field. Professionals will be contacted for quotes on eliminating the bees.†
● The coaches have agreed to line the fields for their games.
● Wrightís Excavating donated sand for the fields.
Finding umpires is proving to be difficult for most teams.
Franklin Recreation will host a fundraiser that sells tickets for Lake Monster games.†
A response for the RiseVT grant for new playground equipment at the ball fields is expected by May 10.
Franklin Recreation was not selected as the recipient for the award from the non-profit club that Johanna Godin belongs to.††
Eleven businesses have chosen to sponsor Franklin Recreation this year. There are still some sponsorships expected to be received.
†Franklin Recreation has agreed to hire Cold Hollow Photography to take all sports photos in return for plaques to give to sponsors and a percentage of picture sales.
Franklin Recreation will march with a banner in Franklinís Memorial Day parade and will hand out flyers advertising summer programming.†
The following is a list of summer programming discussed:
● Camp Discover - Run by Kathy Rouleau, July 30-Aug 3.
● Youth Field Hockey† - unlikely due to coaching and equipment needs.
● Youth Soccer -To be run by the MVU Girls Varsity Team.
● Youth Baseball - Looking for coach.
● Kids Cooking Camp - Annie Wagner is planning with the Farm to School Program.
● Running club - Once a week, July-August
● Adult Co-ed Softball - Once per week, Mid July - Mid August
● Bus to Barn Dance - Will depend on availability and Barn Dance schedule.
● Granby Zoo - A group rate will be offered on the tentative date of July 10.†
● Paint and Sip - Working to select a date in July.
● Summer 5K - Morning of June 30.
● Community Dinner - August 25. Old Man Garage Band will play music.
● Kayaking - Every other Sunday throughout the summer.
Timeline and Planning
To be discussed at the next meeting.†
The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 p.m..†
The next meeting will† be on Monday, May 21 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin Central School.