Franklin Recreation Meeting March 9, 2020 (draft)
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stephanie Ho, Stacy Godin, Paula Tremblay, Dawn Fournier, Annie Wagner
Lissy Bachelder sent an email stating that she was interested in joining the Rec Board.† Paula Tremblay has also expressed interest in joining the Board. Lissy will be invited to attend Rec Board meetings. Bridget will email the Selectboard and recommend that Paula is appointed the vacant Board position. Three of the Board Member terms are expiring at the end of June, which may create an additional opening(s).†
● The reading incentive will start on March 30 and end on Memorial Day†
○ It will be introduced to students at the Franklin School Library Book Fair††
○ It will be a bingo game, similar to last year†
○ The prize drawing will be on Memorial Day
○ Prizes will be be (1) a bike and helmet and (2) fishing equipment)
● The quilting class offered by Val was not well attended
● Val will offer a canning class in the spring
Approve Meeting Minutes
● Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from February 18. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
● There were no bills to approve.
● Basketball referees still need to be paid. The details for payment will be sent to the Town Clerk this week. Jim Marsha refereed four games at a rate of $52.50 each game.†
● The One Town at a Time movie raised $120 for Franklin Recreation.†
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
Town Meeting Recap
Comments were positive.†
● The 2020 sponsorship letter needs to be updated and sent out.†
● The list of potential sponsors was updated.†
● Online sponsorship needs to be set up.†
● Stacy has been looking into grant opportunities.†
● Discussion about what to ask for.
Due North Paint and Sip: Saturday March 28 10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.†
†Details were discussed and include:
● Ask to borrow tables and chairs from the Town Hall
● Food will be provided by the Rec Board
● Price will be $20 per person†
● Wine will be available for $5/glass; bottles can be purchased to take home
Easter Egg Hunt: April 11
● Franklin Rec will coordinate with Jen Dewing and help as needed, including
○ Filling goody bags
○ Hiding eggs
Summer Running Program:
● Discussion about continuing this program and how to make it better. Suggestions included:
○ Meeting more than once a week
○ Writing a grant to give participants fitbits
○ Training as a group for a race
○ Meeting in different locations
Community Dinner: August 29
● NOFA Pizza Oven and Old Man Garage Band have been booked
● Annie will begin fundraising
● Discussion about showing a family movie after the dinner
● Bridgette, Paula and Annie provided a recap of the most recent Northwest Little League (NWLL) Meeting:
○ One T-ball player has requested to play in a different town. Jeff will reach out to the parent and will get back to Bridgette.†
○ Evaluations: Baseball 3/15; Softball 3/22. 3-4:30 p.m. for Minors, 4:30-6 p.m. for Majors.†
■ Send an email reminder that all kids league age 8 and up should attend.
■ There will be an equipment swap table†
○ Coaches meeting 3/24. Will review codes of conduct, pitch/hit/run and hit-a-thon information, coaches and volunteers can fill out background check information.†
○ Pitch/hit/run and Hit-a-thon will be on May 2 from 10 a.m.- 1 p.m.Teams are encouraged to participate together.
○ CPR training will be offered for coaches on April 17.
○ Discussion about kids who will age out of LL next year. The families will be contacted.
○ A Little League program from New York is interested in playing games against NWLL teams. They would be home games for NWLL teams.
● Numbers and Volunteers were discussed as follows:
○ Boys Majors: 11 players; volunteers are Clark Hubbard and Amy Beauregard
○ Boys Minors: 10 players; volunteers are Chris Billado and Tommy Gates
○ Boys Farm: 7 players; volunteers are Jon Godin, Steve Splonskowski, Devin Bachelder, Sam Gervais, and Justin Barton
○ Girls Majors: 8 players; volunteers are Sarah Gates, Bridgette Favreau, and Andrea Spears
○ Girls Minors: 14 players; volunteers are Ellen Favreau, Megan Kobelt, and Bridget Thompson
○ Girls Farm: 5 players; volunteers are Stephanie Ho, Bobbie Billado, and Paula Tremblay
○ Tball: 21 players; volunteers are Ashely Bachelder, Amy Beauregard, Emma Gerrard, and Brenna Sturtevant
● Discussion about moving kindergarten girls to the farm softball team and where additional volunteers are needed. Dawn will contact families as needed.†
● Discussion about field preparation. Randy Bombard is still planning to help finish the baseball field.†
● Teams and coaches will be able to start practicing inside after the Franklin coaches meeting, tentatively scheduled for on March 31.††
The meeting was adjourned at 10:11 p.m.
The next meeting will be on Monday, March 23 at 7:00 p.m. in the Franklin School Library