Franklin Recreation Meeting March 26, 2018 (draft)

 

 

Participants: Bridget Thompson, Stephanie Ho, Stacy Godin, Bridgette Favreau, Dawn Fournier, Kathy Rouleau, Shawn Rouleau

 

 

Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m..

 

 

Public Comment

The recreation department basketballs will be stored at school until other storage locations are available.

 

Shawn Rouleau attended to discuss the possibility of collaborating with his students to build a storage building for the Franklin Recreation Department. Size and location were discussed. Shawn will provide quotes. The students could build the walls of a wood frame structure in the classroom and volunteers from the community could help raise/assemble the building on site. Shawnís students would be unable to help build a cinder block structure. Door and siding options, as well as possible grants were discussed. Franklin Recreation will reach out to the Selectboard, the School Board and the Town Zoning officials to determine how to proceed with this project.

 

 

Approve Meeting Minutes

Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from March 13. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.

 

 

Treasurerís Report

A warrant for $63.67 was signed: $18 for insurance; $21.47 for office supplies; and $23.66 for carnival supplies purchased by Kathy Rouleau. Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.

 

 

Recreation Directorís Report

Nothing to report.

 

 

Action Item Review

The action items were reviewed.

 

Summer Programming

Kathy Rouleauís Camp Discover Under the Big Top was advertised this week. She would like to talk to select board about the Town Hall fee and needs a liability form to fill out.

 

Discussion about renting an obstacle course for the second annual community dinner on August 25 as it was a fun addition to last years event.

 

Bridget sent an email to the LCCA, but has not heard back from them yet.

 

Other potential summer activities to be sponsored by Franklin Recreation:

     Youth Field Hockey

     Youth Soccer

     Kids Cooking Camp - with the Farm to School Program

     Running club

     Adult Co-ed Softball

     Bus to Barn Dance

     Granby Zoo - a date will be selected to offer a group rate

     Paint and Sip

     Triathlon/Fun Run

 

 

Little League

The Playground at the Little League Field is unsafe and needs to be torn down before the season begins. Discussion about what could be offered for kids to play on during the season.

 

An email about bats needed has been sent to Kevin Smiths. Other equipment needs will be assessed when inventory is completed on Friday. Expected equipment needs include game balls and tees.

 

Debbie Berger will be in charge of field scheduling again this year. She is looking into using the TeamReach program.

 

Discussion about when practices can begin, insurance is expected by April 9. The pitching clinics run by Sarah Gates, Jon Godin and Franklin Recreation have been well received by the kids who attended.

 

Discussion about the structure of the Clinic scheduled for April 7 at the Highgate Arena. Major and MInor girls 10am-12pm. Major and Minor Boys 12pm-2pm. Activities will include hitting and fielding drills.

 

A Port-o-let needs to be ordered for the summer season.

 

The T-ball program will be structured into three teams of 5-6 kids grouped based on age.

 

One child has decided not to play and the family has asked for a refund. Bridget made a motion to refund 50% of the registration fee because itís a t-ball player and the season hasnít yet begun. The motion was seconded by Stephanie and approved by all.

 

The lock on the shed needs to be replaced.

 

Discussion about jerseys and what to provide for each team. T-ball and farm players will receivet-shirts as their uniform. Girls Minors and Majors have jerseys that are returned each year. Boys Majors have jerseys that are returned each year. Decision about what to do for Boys Minors will depend on sponsorship response. Any custom sponsor will need to cover the cost of selected jerseys above the cost of a t-shirt.

 

Stacy suggested that rubber totes be purchased for storing equipment in the off season to cut down on rodent issues.

 

 

Grants

Grants from Rise VT, Lowes, Home Depot, and the Gates Foundation will be evaluated as potential matches for a new playground on the sports fields or a new storage building.

 

 

Sponsorship

Letters were sent out this morning.

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:05 p.m..

 

 

The next meeting willbe on Monday, April 9 at 7:00 p.m. in the Franklin Central School Library.