Franklin Recreation Meeting March 25, 2019 (draft)
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay, Dave Benion, Chris Billado, Sam Gervais, Devin Bachelder
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m..
● Paula heard from a local teen who is looking for community service hours and may be willing to line the fields. She will follow up.
● Dave Bennion heard that towns can work with St. Albans Rec and earn reduced rates to the St. Albans City pool and wanted to share with the rec board.
● The Library Trustees will be meeting on Thursday to discuss summer programming.
● The library hours will be changing in the near future.
○ Story time will be changing to Friday mornings.†
○ Friday afternoon reading at the Homestead will be switching to the morning.
● Resources the library has or is hoping to get for the summer include:
○ Bee Bots
○ A Puzzle Escape Box
Rec Director Updates
Approve Meeting Minutes
Stacy motioned to approve the meeting minutes from March 11. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
● Maureen has reserved the Town Hall for a CWC Drum Circles Fundraiser on Friday, May 10. Bridget will respond and finalize any details.
● The sponsorship letter was finalized and will be sent out this week.
Stacy will create a draft for the RiseVT Amplify Grant for the board to review at the next meeting.
Spring Paint and Sip: †Spring themed painting† and LuLaRoe fundraiser. Discussion of location continued. Details will be announced once confirmed.
● A date to train rec board members still needs to be set.
● Chris Billado, Sam Gervais and Devin Bachelder all spoke separately with the rec board to discuss concerns they had with the boys farm league team. The reasoning behind the decision to put the kindergarten boys on the farm team was explained to each of them.
○ Chris is concerned about coaching a large team and stated that he understands why pulling the kindergarten boys up to the farm team needs to happen, but he doesnít agree with the decision.†
○ Sam is concerned for the safety of kindergarten children who havenít played tball in the past and agrees with the rec board decision.†
○ Devin is concerned that having kindergarten players on the farm team could be unsafe. Heís also concerned that the first and second graders may not get the coaching they should if the kindergarten players need extra coaching. He had concerns about the number of players, but currently, there are 12 players and he is ok with that number.†
● The rec board has decided that a LL playing policy is needed. It will include at a minimum the following details:
○ Kindergarten kids who have never played tball cannot play on a farm team.
○ Players (league age 8 and above) who do not attend evaluations will not be considered if players need to be pulled up to the next level.
● The two league age 11 fourth graders will likely play on the minors team.
● Discussion about when to close registrations.
● Upcoming LL Meetings:
○ NWLL Coaches meeting: April 2 at 6:30pm at the Swanton school. For coaches and assistant coaches.
○ Franklin LL Volunteer meeting: April 8 at 6pm at the Franklin school. Everyone who volunteered to help should attend. Bridgette shared the draft agenda for this meeting.†
● Equipment needs to be sorted and new equipment needs to be purchased.
● All practice scheduling needs to go through the rec department.†
● Tball rosters were discussed.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:02 p.m..
The next meeting will† be on Monday, April 8 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin Central School.