Franklin Recreation Meeting June 18, 2020
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay, Annie Wagner
Stephanie called the meeting to order at 7:28 p.m.
● A summer reading program was sent home with students on the last day of school.†
○ There is a weekly theme, and children are asked to paint a rock corresponding to that theme each week. Paint markers were supplied with the reading log.
○ Rocks are available at the old Dick Wright Ford building or children can use any rock they have.
○ The weekly themes coincide with Franklin Recís I Spy Summer Adventure and reminders to paint rocks will be shared by Franklin Rec along with the weekly I Spy challenge.††
○ Weekly Reading Themes:
■ 6/22: Open the Door
■ 6/29: Patriots and Patriotism
■ 7/6: Growing Things
■ 7/13: Knights and Dragons
■ 7/20: Fairies and Gnomes
■ 7/27: Princes and Princesses
■ 8/3: Imagine Your Own Storybook
■ 8/10: Imagine Your World
● The library will be creating a story walk near the library.†
● The library is now open for curbside pickup. There are lots of new books available!††
Approve Meeting Minutes
● Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from May 26. Paula seconded. The motion passed.
● The I Spy Summer Adventure Run/Walk/Bike/Hike will begin on June 22 and end on July 31.
● The first reminder for the I Spy Summer Adventure will be shared via social media this weekend.†
● Weekly I Spy Themes:
○ 6/22: Mailboxes
○ 6/27: Flags
○ 7/6: Flowers
○ 7/13: Birds
○ 7/20: Butterfly
○ 7/27: Princesses
● The Northwest Little League (NWLL) board has decided to offer a summer 2020 season.
○ Games will begin on July 15 and end by August 30.
○ Each team will play approximately 2 games per week.
○ Safety Rules were discussed, including, but not limited to:
■ 25 players on field, including coaches
■ 1 spectator per player.
■ 6ft spacing between players.
■ Players are encouraged to bring their own equipment.†
■ Any shared equipment will be disinfected between players.
○ Bridgette will draft a letter to Franklin families outlining the safety regulations and ask for a response by Monday.†
○ Discussion about how this season will affect the soccer season.
○ Coaches were discussed.
■ Background checks are needed; and coaches need to be first aid certified.
■ Both the boys and girls minors teams do not currently have coaches.
■ Ron Underwood has volunteered to coach the boys Majors team.†
● Paula has a sign for the playground.†
● A port-o-let needs to be ordered. Discussion about how to keep it disinfected.†
● Randy has been working on the fields.†
● Refunds will be processed once the 2020 teams are finalized.†††
● The Rec Coordinator position was discussed, as the contract ends June 30.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:33 p.m.
The next meeting will be on Monday, June 29 at 7:00 p.m. at Paula Tremblayís House.