Franklin Recreation Meeting June 18, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m..
Paula requested that we add a section to our regular meeting agenda to discuss Library Events and collaboration.
Paula expressed concern over a parent who complained about a Little League coach via Facebook instead of discussing with the coach, the Recreation Board, or the NWLL Board.
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from June 4. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Bridgette asked Lisa to put $1200 of the received sponsorship money and all of the AG Davis sponsorship money toward the Little League apparel order. Another $120 of sponsorship money from Harvest Equipment will pay for their banner.
An overview of the budget was received from Town Treasurer. The fifth Franklin Recreation Board Member Stipend will go back to a general fund. Bridgette will ask for clarification on which fund this is.
Bridgette will go through the budget received to double check and finalize before the June 25 due date.
Stephanie motioned to approved this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
Recreation Director’s Report
Nothing to report that is not on the agenda.
Action Item Review
The action items were reviewed.
● Storage shed - Waiting for a quote.
● Website - Bridgette will ask Rusty Gregory if he would be interested in talking about creating a website.
● Ticket sales are due by June 22 for Franklin Recreation Night at the Lake Monster baseball game on August 17.
● Tball still has a week of games.
● There are still some sponsor plaques to deliver.
● Registration forms went home for all school age kids on the last day of school. Itty Bitty forms will be handed out by Mrs. Dewing at home visits in the fall.
● Fifth and Sixth grade registrations were due by the end of the school year. Five boys and five girls have signed up.
● Sheldon has low numbers and has asked if Franklin would like to merge together to have both a boys and girls team.
○ Sheldon currently has four boys and 13 girls signed up for their 5/6 soccer program. Their middle school girls team is also low in numbers and they will need to pull up some of their sixth grade girls, leaving them with not enough kids for both a boys and girls team at the 5/6 level.
○ Franklin is the only co-ed team in the area and if it remains co-ed will be playing mostly boys teams.
○ Dawn will respond to the Sheldon coach with an initial “Yes”, but details will need to be worked out. The Sheldon coach will be invited to the next Franklin Recreation meeting.
RiseVT MiniGrant Playground Planning:
Annie suggested via email that Franklin Recreation apply for a Lowes Grant to pay for the lumber needed for the Gaga Ball court. Her estimates of the cost for the Gaga Ball court are - $1088 for a court without door or $1438 for a court with a door. Approximately $450 of this is lumber.
Costco currently has a Lifetime brand climber and playground on sale. Bridget will email Joyce to get approval to proceed with the purchase of these items for the baseball field playground.
Bridget made a motion to spend up to $2000 of the RiseVT MiniGrant funds on playground equipment for the ball fields. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Franklin Recreation will not be offering any summer athletic camps due to the lack of instructors and equipment.
Paint and Sip: Collecting pricing and availability from potential instructors.
Granby Zoo: A new date of July 17th was chosen to offer a group rate. Participants will be asked to meet at the front gate of Granby Zoo at 10 a.m. to collect their tickets. Participants will be asked to register and pay ahead of time. Families of kids participating in the cooking camp may be given an alternate meeting time.
Kayaking: Meet at Town Beach.
Running Club: The Library would like to bring a book box with running themed books for kids to check out.
Cooking Class at Homestead: looking into how to get this started.
Babysitting Course: Library is looking into setting this up.
Bus to Barn Dance: Barn dance dates are August 4 and October 6. Looking into bus availability.
Write Thank You Notes
The thank you cards are not ready yet. This will be completed at the July 10 meeting.
Timeline and Planning
Meeting dates for the summer were selected. The upcoming dates are :
June 20 - Attend Selectboard meeting
June 26 - Community Recreation Planning meeting (in St. Albans)
Summer meetings will likely be held in the Felco Room.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, July 2 at 7:00 p.m. at the Felco Room.