Franklin Recreation Meeting January 15, 2019
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Molly McGinty
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:48 p.m..
● Discussion about what to include in the school newsletter. Information about Little League and the Winter Carnival.†
The town Christmas tree needs to
be undecorated and removed. The lights have been unplugged.†
Paula shared about the most recent trustee meeting on January 10.
● They discussed the Polar Express and were wondering if next year the ride could stop at the Library for the book give away. Stephanie suggested that the ride go first, then participants could go inside, get their book, hot cocoa, and hear the story. This discussion will be continued in the fall.
● The trustees also discussed the possibilities of decorations on the telephone/electric poles along Main Street.
● Molly said that the library has snowshoes that can be used for the Winter Carnival.†
● The library is changing their summer reading incentive program this year. Molly has a bingo game that kids can play while reading books.The game will tentatively begin in March and run through the spring months with the prize being award at fun and fitness Friday at school. Someone has donated a bike and helmet to the program and the library is currently looking for someone to donate fishing gear, so that two prizes could be awarded.
Rec Director Updates
● Franklin Recreation night at the Lake Monsterís game will be on Saturday July 20. Fundraising packets will arrive in March.
● Franklin Recreation was asked to plan a week or two of summer programming for the Crossroads program. It would be 50% funded. After much discussion, the board decided that Franklin Recreation will offer some summer programming, but not weeklong programming through the Crossroads program.†
● Port-o-let bills are still being delivered.† Bridget will follow up with Drummac.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from December 17. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
● Pickleball equipment: $179.99
● Basketball shirts: $542.50 (first order), 16.00 (late orders), 167.00 (extra apparel)
● Rec Director: $2484.24
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
Town Report and Budget
Franklin Recreationís portion of the Town Report was updated to include the events held over the past year, events upcoming between now and Town Meeting Day, and other anticipated changes, such as implementing the use of MyRec.com. The 2019 budget was presented to the Selectboard on December 19.
Winter Carnival: Saturday, February 2 from 2:00 - 6:00 p.m..
Details of the events were discussed:
● 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
○ Outside Activities (snowshoeing, sledding, street hockey).
○ Inside Activities (board games and crafts).
● 2:30-3:30 p.m. Duct Tape Derby
● 3:30-5:00 p.m.
○ Inside Activities/Demonstrations (Drums Alive, Zumba, taekwondo)
○ Side Games (cornhole, ladderball, giant jenga, 4 square, lawn darts)
● 3:30-5:00 p.m Pickleball demo (Town Hall)l
● 2:00-5:00 p.m. Silent Auction - items donated from local businesses will be available to bid on. Examples include:
○ VT State Park Punch Card
○ 1 hour of bowling at Dairy Center
○ Maple Gift Basket from Pam Greene
○ Pumphouse tickets
○ Planet Fitness gym membership
○ Oil Change from AM Auto
○ Others items are still to come
● 5:00 p.m. Chilli/Chowder Cookoff
● 6:00 p.m. Announcements
○ Winner of Chili/Chowder Cookoff
○ Auction Winners
○ Door Prize Winners
● All participants will receive an entry into the door prize raffle. Door prizes include:
○ Tickets to a UVM Menís Hockey game
○ Other items are TBD and will be purchased by Bridgette before the event.
Discussion about ordering apparel for Recreation department members. Shirts and hats will be ordered by Dawn.†
Other items needed such as waivers, silent auction sheets, tickets and meal supplies will be further discussed at the next meeting.†
● Thursdays from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m..
● Donna Blouin is coordinating all sign ups.†
● There have been two sessions so far.
● Fridays 7:00 - 9:00 p.m., January 11 - February 15, excluding January 18.
● Six people came to the first session.
● A new volleyball is needed.
● Should an activity be offered for children? Movie? Games?
Cross Country Skiing: No new updates.
● Referees are still difficult to find.
● Pictures with Cold Hollow Photography on January 23.
● Registration forms will go out on Friday.† Registrations will be due on February 22.
● Bridgette is updating the registration form.
● Charter is done.
● Insurance should be ready sooner than in past years for inside practices.†
● Evaluations in March at MVU.
● NWLL is a 501c(3) now.†
● Ron Underwood is offering a boys pitching clinic every Tuesday through the end of February in Highgate.
● Melissa Davis has requested that NWLL reps attend meeting when LL coaches are selected. Reps will be notified.
● Everyone has to do a new background check this year.
● Paula has volunteered to be an umpire for girls games.†
RiseVT would prefer that the grant money be used for playground equipment and not an inflatable obstacle course.†
The meeting was adjourned at 10:52 p.m..†
The next meeting will† be on Monday, January 28 at 7:30 p.m..