Participants: Bridget Thompson, Stephanie Ho, Stacy Godin, Bridgette Favreau, Dawn Fournier, Rachel Dumeny, Jon Godin, Melissa Davis
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m..
Discussion about offering the Girls on the Run program. Itís very expensive, perhaps a running program for all kids can be offered, either through crossroads or on its own. Rachel, Bridget, Paula Tremblay and Allison Menard (school nurse) are interested in helping.
There were questions about basketball pictures and why we do them. Perhaps we can offer pictures earlier in the season next year.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from January 29. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
The Winter Carnival made $50.50 in donations and $359 from the silent auction. Warrants signed for Franklin Central School (printing) and Grizzly Graphix (basketball t-shirts). The basketball program spent more money than it brought in. Discussions about how to bring down spending next year (including possible uniform options of t-shirts for 3/4 teams and jerseys that are kept by Franklin Recreation. Bridget motioned to approve the Treasurerís Report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Recreation Directorís Report
The Recreation Director had nothing to report that wasnít already on the agenda.
Action Item Review
The action items were reviewed. Stephanie will clean up the list before the next meeting.
The Little League discussion was moved up in the schedule. Discussion with the Northwest Little League (NWLL) Franklin Representatives:
● As of 2/12, 14 children have signed up.
● Evaluations for all NWLL players league age 8 and up will be held on March 8 and 12 in Swanton.†
● The new bat regulations only apply to baseball.†
● Since Franklin Recreation manages the Franklin Little League funds, the Franklin NWLL Reps agree that Franklin Recreation will run the regular season league.
● Due to National Little League policy, all money that comes into LL goes into the restricted fund.
● Anticipated Numbers based on last yearís participation:
○ Boys Majors: 11
○ Boys Minors: 10
○ Boys Farm: 11
○ Girls Majors: 6 (+2 maybes)
○ Girls Minors: 11
○ Girls Farm:† 12
● Players cannot be double rostered.
● Discussion about a Chain of Command to be shared with parents, players and coaches. Bridgette will draft one and ask about a code of conduct at the next NWLL meeting.
● How to address coaching concerns and parents who are not pleased with the evaluations. No solution exactly, will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
● How to address alcohol use at field. More signage?
● Finding umpires is always a challenge. Perhaps Paula Tremblay or MVU varsity players?
● First aid kits and last yearís equipment bags need to be inventoried.†
● Will we offer clinics this year? Last yearís clinic at the Highgate Arena for Minor and Major players was great for the girls but unorganized for the boys. Would the varsity teams be interested in running these? Last year, the fee was by donation only and didnít make up for the fee of renting the arena. Perhaps charge a nominal amount per player or family attending? Require players to sign up ahead of time?
● Offer pitching clinics in Franklin? Dawn will ask Julie Kittell to run a clinic for the girls.† Discussion about who could run a pitching clinic for boys.†
● A Field Cleanup day may be held to have players and families help prepare the fields for the season. Other field maintenance needs and ideas were discussed including dugout and field updates.
Winter Carnival Recap
Street Hockey and Snowshoeing were not well attended. The duct tape derby had great participation, but people were ready to go inside after. There was a suggestion to have just inside or just outside activities and not force people to have to make choices. Would this cause too much congestion inside?†
The 3/4 boys vs. girls game was fun for all. The 5/6 girls season is still underway. There is a Saturday league for the 5/6 teams, Bridget asked for this type of information to be shared with Franklin Recreation in the future.
Write Thank You Notes
Thank you notes for people who helped with the Tree Lighting, Polar Express and Winter Carnival were written, signed and addressed.†
The next meeting will† be on Monday, February 29 at 7:00 p.m. at the Felco Room.†
The meeting was adjourned at 10:53 p.m..