Franklin Recreation Meeting August 7, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Annie Wagner
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:11 p.m..
● Johanna Godin would like to try again for Franklin Recreation to win the money awarded by the 100 Women Club. She has asked Bridget to present on August 21. She will be asking for money to construct a playground at the ball fields.
● Sally from the homestead suggested that Franklin Recreation look into getting a hansom cab to offer horse and buggy rides around town.†
● Franklin Recreation would like to have a display at Back to School night to make sure parents are aware that all Franklin athletic programs for elementary school children are run by Franklin Recreation.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from July 24. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Warrants were signed:
● Curtis Ploof $500 for mowing the ball fields
● $18.54 quarterly rec fee for workmanís compensation.
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
Summer Programming (moved up in the agenda)
Community Dinner: The community dinner will be held on August 25 starting at 5:00 p.m.. The Farm to School program is about $250 short of the funds needed to host this dinner. The library hasnít given monetary donations in the past. Franklin Central School will donate $100.†
The Parent Child Center (formerly Building Bright Futures) will bring their small bouncy house and bubbles and will donate paper for spin art if needed. Annie has been working hard on advertising the event and will be putting up a banner this week.†
Paint and Sip:† Franklin Recreation is still hoping to offer a Paint and Sip at Due North in September.† Details are in the works.
Kayaking:† One person came to the last kayak night. Franklin Recreation is considering alternate locations for the last kayak night on August 19.†
Camp Discover: Seven children attended Camp Discover this summer. The Messenger ran an article.†
Field Updates: Franklin Recreation will be working on preparing the ball fields for fall on Thursday, August 9 starting at 1:00 p.m..Painting of the dugout will be completed at a later date due to the heat and humidity this week.
Fall Baseball: Highgate Recreation will be hosting a fall pick up baseball league.†
NWLL Board Representative Voting: No news yet.
Lake Monster Fundraiser: A reminder about the game will be posted. A total of $153.50 raised from this fundraiser. Franklin Recreation was also given four free tickets. A decision about how to use the tickets will be made soon.†
● Cold Hollow Photography wants to set up a date for soccer team pictures.
● Currently six boys and four girls have signed up to play soccer for the 5/6 team. There is the possibility that 1-2 more kids may sign up.††
● Sheldon is done with sign ups and would like to combine again. Discussion about how to proceed. Possibly ask Sheldon if they have a couple kids who would like to play on the Franklin team or pull up a couple 4th graders to round out the 5/6 team.††
● There will be a Queen City Soccer fall league which will play every Sunday starting September 9 for 6 weeks.†
RiseVT MiniGrant Playground Planning:
Dawn has contacted Miracle, but has not received a response. If Franklin Recreation is selected as a recipient of funds from the 100 Womenís Club, more options would be available.
Recreation Director Job Description and Contract
The contract was reviewed and signed.††
Fall Programming (moved up in the agenda)
● Franklin Recreation will be planning a fall fun run, tentatively scheduled for October 12.†
● Franklin Recreation would like to host a Trunk or Treat event, tentatively scheduled for October 26.†
Review and Approve New Policies
Sponsorship: The policy Sponsorship was labeled as Policy 1. The draft policy was reviewed.† Bridget made a motion to approve this policy. Brigette seconded. The motion passed.†
Requests for Money: The policy regarding Requests for Monday was labeled as Policy 2. The draft policy was reviewed. Bridget made a motion to approve this policy. Brigette seconded. The motion passed.†
Assign Board Positions
Bridgette made a motion to keep positions the same, except Stephanie will become the Vice Chair. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.†
The meeting was adjourned at 10:25 p.m..†
The next meeting will† be on Wednesday, August 22 at 7:00 p.m. at the Felco Room.