Franklin Recreation Meeting August 26, 2019
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Randy Bombard
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:16 p.m..
● Ron Underwood has asked to use the baseball field for fall baseball. Franklin Rec is planning on updating the baseball field and there is a soccer field in the outfield, so Bridgette will tell Ron that the field is unavailable.
● The library hosted a Princess Tea Party and a Farm Story Time with a Calf this summer. Both events were well attended.
● Upcoming fall events include Big Rig Day and a Stuffed Animal Sleepover.
● All Library events are listed on the website.
● The Library will have a trunk at Franklin Rec’s Trunk or Treat event.
Approve Meeting Minutes
Stacy motioned to approve the meeting minutes from August 5. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
● A check for $231 was received from the VT Lake Monsters fundraiser.
● A bill was received for two port-o-lets for August - Bridget will call as there is only supposed to be one.
● Chase Around the Lake Triathlon:
○ Polly Gadbois wrote an article about the event and it was published in the County Courier for $149.
○ Registration fees brought in $1235.
○ Expenses totaled $1176.68.
○ This leaves a profit of approximately $58.
○ A $500 donation was received from WEI.
● Online soccer registrations seems to be working well. To date, $1045 has been collected in registration fees.
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
● Randy has been doing some research on how to improve the quality of the ball fields. He has spoken with St. Mike’s College about the recent update of their softball field and provided details on the materials and equipment needed to the Rec Board. He estimates that the fields can be updated with a full dirt infield on the softball field and new dirt on the base paths and pitchers mound of the baseball field for approximately $1500. The dirt used will be a “Softball Mix” of sand,clay and silt. He will also look into new bases.
● There is one case of paint in the shed that can be used for lining the soccer field. Bridget will pick up another case.
● The shed is mostly sorted and the Little League equipment is stored for winter.
○ Helmets and catchers equipment still need to be sorted.
○ One more tote will be purchased for storage.
○ First aid kits are on shelf. They have not been restocked.
○ Generator needs to be removed and stored for winter.
○ Lime needs to be removed from liner.
Bridget has been compiling a list of questions about the website and will email Marcy. She will add the community dinner to the banner on the website.
The playground is complete. RiseVT will be notified that the project is complete.
Community Dinner: The dinner will be on August 31. The inflatable obstacle course will be picked up on Friday.
Running Club: Discussion about how to increase participation/use of trail around the fields. Adult Softball: Discussion about how to increase participation.
Clinics: Discussion about basketball clinic in November.
Fall Run: A glow run will be planned for the evening of October 12.
Trunk or Treat: Trunk or Treat will be on the evening of October 25.
Paint and Sip: Stephanie will reach out to Erich Marn about hosting one at Due North.
Vendor/Craft Fair: Tentatively scheduled for November 16. Vendors at Town Hall, kids paint and sip at the Church. Need to confirm locations and advertise.
● Elections for Franklin’s NWLL representatives are on September 5 from 4:30-6:00 p.m.. Annie Wagner will be on the ballot; one more Franklin Representative is needed.
● NWLL started a fall ball season that seems to be going well.
● Registrations closed on Friday (8/23) with 51 kids signed up.
● Coaches will be notified this week and given rosters.
● Shirts will be ordered this week.
● Late registrations will be offered through the end of this week (8/30).
● There will be two 1/2 teams.
● If any more 3/4 kids sign up this week, that group will be broken up into two teams.
● Inventory will be completed on Sunday.
● The soccer fields will be prepared on Sunday.
Fall Meeting Dates
The following meeting dates were selected for the remainder of 2019:
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, September 9 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin School.