Franklin Recreation Meeting August 10, 2020
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay, Lissy Bachelder
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
● The Haston Library ordered the movie Onward for the Movie on the Green.
Approve Meeting Minutes
● Stacy motioned to approve the meeting minutes from July 27. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed.
● The following bills were approved:
○ $153 to Kevin Smiths for softballs and baseballs
○ $55 for stamps
○ $119.75 to Swanton Rec for Little League uniforms
● Randy replaced two bags of lime he used lining the field for Storm games.
● Dawn was overpaid when the position was changed from salary to hourly. Hours worked will be deducted from the overpayment before another payment is made.
● Dawn submitted a letter of resignation stating that she will work until the post is filled.
● The job opening will be posted this week and remain posted until the end of August. Letters of interest should be emailed to the Franklin rec email address.
Summer Virtual Run
● The virtual run ended on July 31.
● Feedback received was discussed. The event was successful and fun for the participants.
● Little League games are ongoing. There are a few more in Franklin. Distancing is difficult, but people are trying.
● Discussion about adding breakaway bases to the t-ball field.
● No news on Little League elections.
● Stacy shared some possible grant opportunities.
○ Bike/Pedestrian grant: possible bike path around fields with some mountain biking obstacles (20% match)
○ Sparks Grant: this may be a better fit for the school garden
○ Building communities: bounce house, projector, speakers, etc (100% match)
○ Municipal Planning grant: ice rink (10% match)
● Bridget suggested looking into grants offered by Ben and Jerry’s
● Swanton and Highgate are offering soccer for grades 1-4 only. The 5/6 teams in those towns are coordinated by the schools.
● Franklin Rec will offer soccer for grades K-6, and follow all local guidelines.
● Pricing will be as follows:
○ Grades K-2 $20
○ Grades 3-6 $25
● Discounts: 2nd child: 10%, 3rd child: 50%, additional child(ren): free.
● The soccer season will start when school starts.
● Registration will be open until 8/31. No late registrations will be accepted.
● Dawn will schedule games for grades 3-6.
● Soccer will have field precedence over fall softball/baseball.
Movie on the Green
● Franklin Rec will host a Movie On The Green on Friday, August 28 at 8:00 p.m.
● Lissy will make a flyer to advertise the event.
● Refreshments will be provided by the Farm to School program (Popcorn/veggies).
● Franklin Rec will sell candy at the event.
● Stephanie asked if the Cub Scouts could borrow the screen. The board agreed. A policy for screen rental/borrowing will be written and approved at the next meeting.
● Paula suggested a Bike Rodeo and Bike Parade.
● Meetings for the remainder of 2020 were planned. All meetings will be held at Paula’s house at 7:00 p.m. Changes to this schedule will be shared as soon as possible.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
The next meeting will be on Monday, August 31 at 7:00 p.m. at Paula Tremblay’s House.