Franklin Recreation Meeting April 9, 2018
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Stephanie Ho, Stacy Godin, Bridgette Favreau, Dawn Fournier
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m..
Bridget would like to post about the Talent Show hosted by the Franklin Girl Scouts on Franklin Recreationís Facebook page.† The board agreed that this was fine.†
Champlain Door has a garage door they will give Franklin Recreation to use on a new storage building.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridget motioned to approve the meeting minutes from March 26. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
$85 was collected at the Little League clinic. Bridgette will ask for a $200 check to be sent to MAHA for renting the Arena for the clinic.
Warrants were signed for the following:
● $20 refund for a Little League registration
● $50 for postage
● $67.74 for athletic field signs
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.†
Recreation Directorís Report
Dawn has been working on detailing a summer soccer program. Jenessa Tatro has volunteered to run the program. The MVU girls varsity soccer coach is willing to help and possibly bring players; the MUV boys varsity soccer coach is checking with his team to see if anyone would be willing to help. The program would be one day a week for 4-6 weeks. Discussion about timing, fees, providing t-shirts, and how to have participants register followed. Details will be finalized at the next meeting.††
The Franklin Historical Society is putting together a summer programming calendar of events and would like to include events hosted by Franklin Recreation.
Action Item Review
The action items were reviewed.
Stephanie, Bridget and Dawn attended the latest Selectboard meeting to discuss the Town Hall Usage fee and how it pertains to Franklin Recreation activities. The Selectboard has decided to review Franklin Recreation activities on a case by case basis for now.†
The following summer programming ideas were discussed:
● Camp Discover - Run by Kathy Rouleau, July 30-Aug 3. This has been advertised.
● Youth Field Hockey† - Waiting on response from potential coach.
● Youth Soccer - Discussed above in Recreation Director Report.
● Kids Cooking Camp - Annie Wagner is planning with the Farm to School Program.
● Running club - Bridget will organize and run, if her schedule permits.
● Adult Co-ed Softball - Once per week, pick up style games.† Bridget will advertise on Franklin Recreationís Facebook page
● Bus to Barn Dance - Will depend on availability and Barn Dance schedule.
● Granby Zoo - A date will be selected to offer a group rate.† No transportation will be provided.
● Paint and Sip - Stephanie is working with Due North.
● Triathlon/Fun Run - Would like to work with the LCCA on this. Bridget has sent them an email.
● Horse camp -† Green Mountain Stables.
● Stargazing - With the Vermont Astronomical Society. Set up through the Haston Library.††
Stacy has been working on an application for a RiseVT grant to build a new playground at the ball fields. She shared what she has written so far. The grant is due April 19.†
Five sponsorship letters have been returned.
Bridgette shared a recap of the latest NWLL meeting:
● Opening day will be on May 5 for most teams. Tball and Farm will start later.
● NWLL will host a Pitch, Hit and Run event on May 5 after all games are finished.
● Little League insurance has been confirmed, the certificate will be available soon.†
● NWLL will host a fundraiser. Details will be provided to players.
● Major and Minor Games will be done first week of June.
● NWLL is offering First Aid training for coaches on April 21 at 8:30 am.
● Player, coach and parent code of conducts will be uniform throughout NWLL and will be provided to coaches soon.
● NWLL is updating their Constitution, which includes a chain of command for when issues arise.†
New equipment purchased includes two bats for each baseball team to meet the new standards, two new helmets for girls, a new catchers helmet for girls majors, three tees, game balls, and wiffle balls in all sizes.†
Discussion on the state of existing Jerseys. Franklin Recreation has navy socks to sell for $4 a pair if needed. There are some used pants and cleats available in the shed if players need them.
Bridgette and Stacy inventoried equipment and organized the shed.
Tball teams were determined and coaches will be notified this week.†
Field Cleanup is scheduled for Sunday, April 15 at 1pm, weather permitting. All players/families will be invited to help.†
The meeting was adjourned at 10:27 p.m..†
The next meeting will† be on Monday, April 23 at 7:00 p.m. location TBD.